#1 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:47 AM

Looking through my ArriflexBL Standard 16mm Viewfinder I can see the TV area Crosshairs that will be on all TVs...
Then the Crosshair TV area that is for most TVs
BUT Then is a small area that does not appear to get used in the conversion to DV?
I Just wondered if This area could be utilised for widescreen HDV OR Widescreen DV Somehow?

Edited by Mark Williams, 05 September 2005 - 08:48 AM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:28 AM

The "TV" area is Title Safe to compensate for overscan on some TV's. You still need to protect the full 16mm frame for 4x3 transfer & broadcast; it's just that on some TV's, there is a 10% loss on all sides so you have to compose with this in mind for any critical information & titles. In other words, "TV Safe" or "Title Safe" only tells you that what's INSIDE that area will always appear on TV, but what's OUTSIDE may also appear on some TV's.

To get any more information for widescreen transfer or blow-up, you'd have to use the negative outside of standard 16mm Full Aperture, which means either Super-16 (extending the gate into the right side where on 16mm prints, there is an optical soundtrack instead of perfs) or Ultra-16 (rare, where you extend the gate slightly in both directions under the perfs, shortening the height of the frame slightly while also widening it.)

Ultra-16 is so rare and non-standard that you are probably better off just composing regular 16mm for cropping to widescreen if you can't get ahold of a Super-16 camera.

#3 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:09 PM

OH Well back to the Drawing Board :) Thanks David

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:36 AM

OH Well back to the Drawing Board  :) Thanks David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

If your in telecine you might be able to zoom back a fraction because TV projection is slightly inside the full gate. However I have seen a Newman Sinclair 16mm camera where the gate was made by hand with a file, the slight crop covered the rough edges!
It won't be much, but if its there and the telecine gate also covers, then why not!

Stephen

#5 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:18 AM

Hi Stephen

What Im thinking of "is" If you were to Telecine standard 16mm TO HDV widescreen. THEN a little extra Film could make a difference in quality. I assume you would have to crop the image "ONCamera" to widescreen.

Does this sound practical? Zoom into a 4:3 TV Until the screen fits the viewfinder.. THEN lookin at a 16:9 Image ON the TV as a Guide make a matte for the Camera?

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:24 AM

Why not just DRAW a 16x9 box on a sheet of paper and frame that up?

And why would you spend all the money on a HD transfer ($500/hr. at some places) only to use the worst HD tape format (HDV) to record it to?.

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:55 AM

And why would you spend all the money on a HD transfer ($500/hr. at some places) only to use the worst HD tape format (HDV) to record it to?.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Davids right, draw a 16 x 9 on paper, film it then see if you can zoom out in telecine. I guess you might have 5% extra.

Stephen

#8 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:47 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

David there is no way I could afford a HD Transfer ! Just having fun making short films.. I have come across the severe Limitations of DV and the realisation that I need Film to progress..I may not be VERY Knowledgeable with Film Cameras But since having my ArriBL, I really am in awe of the capability "THIS" Once state of the Art Cammie has got! A lot of People who have seen my BL are unimpressed and say stuff like thats Ancient get a Modern (DV) Camera..If only they knew.

Anyway

I have been in contact with pro8 who do telecine for 16mm They say they have no plans to telecine HDV This year but there are plans for early next year I can edit the Film in Vegas 6 in HDV So getting the best picture Quality is important ..

I realise that when and if my film is telecined they would do the framing BUT I want to make sure that My composition is as close as possible to how I want..The black bars can be out and they will need to be because if there is a 5% bonus then that will apply from top to bottom as well..

Anyway at the end I would have a high quality HDV Film that is futureproofed..

For now I want to get to know My Camera.. I recently purchased some Zeiss Primes and loadsa books!

I would like to be able to service it so as to help keep it quiet I dont have a lens Blimp for the primes. I was thinking about looking into a noise reduction Plugin? Although Most likely I will try and restrict my Vocals to the Zeiss T3 Zoom..

I hope to be able to come to you Guys and get loadsa help Apologies in Advance if I might seem Lacking in Knowledge Sometimes! :)

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Opal