Seeking a ND filter for my S8 cam

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

Hello I have a recently acquired a Sears Super 8 cam model C-125 which I understand is the same camera as the GAF cam 92??(forgot) but the thing is I need to start shooting with the camera I have some Tri-X film ordered from Kodak
hopefully to arrive next week but I would like to get a ND filter for camera.

The specs of the camera are:
Sears S8 cam autozoom 6:1
F1:7 ; 8-48 reflex lens
frame rates 12,18,32
internal light meter

but lens doesn't give diameter.

I heard that only stupid questions is one not asked so I new to film I am
1. wondering if with the built in 85a filter am to leave it on while using a ND filter?
2. Plus will be using a Reflective light meter how Will this effect/alter exposure?
3. Does any one know shutter speed for this cam, I cant find a full manual on the cam only a few specs.

Its funny how I was only supposed to have just one question? But all help is greatly appreciated.

Much Love and God Bless
RonneY Ross

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

If you can't find the camera's specs online, the simplest thing is to just take it into a camera store and try various screw-on filters until you find the right size.

Whether or not you leave in the 85A filter is up to you -- it would act as a pale orange, slightly darkening blues in the b&w image and lightening yellows / oranges. You'd have to add that filter factor into your light meter calculations though if you leave it in but meter externally.

#3 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

Hi David:

Thanks for the info. About the camera shop not sure if this would be possible for
me. Not sure where I could get to a camera shop in this region ( Southeastern GA.
closest major cities would be Atlanta or Savannah which are a couple hours away.)

I have passed by camera shops in Florida but couldn't stop (Trucker Driver)
I was wondering if I could measure inside diameter of the to order but I understand its risky. Dont wont to blow my money.

-Ronney Ross

#4 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:28 PM

I was wondering if I could measure inside diameter of the to order but I understand its risky.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That could be tricky. I tried that with a lens and was off by 2mm. One thing that might be cheaper than putting enough gas in your car to drive to Atlanta would be to look for a used filter adapter (step-up or step-down ring) at BHphoto.com that is the approximate size. If they have one, it would probably cost you less than $10 with shipping, and worst case scenario is you'll get the wrong size and know you're within a couple millimeters. You could then dump the adapter on eBay and recoup a couple bucks.

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

CineTape

Opal

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets