#1 Filip Plesha

Filip Plesha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Other
  • Croatia

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:52 PM

I've seen this quite a number of times, specially in transfers of some older movies.

here is the thing:
the movie cuts to the next shot, and the first few frames have a strange quick distortion of frame geometry, like a ripple in the image, as if the film is not flat or something. It lasts about 3-4 frames, and when you play it at full speed it looks like the image jumps a bit.

Here is an example:
Alien director's cut DVD: the scene where Yaphet's character is teasing Ripley with the steam from the pipes.
well when the image first cuts to this scene (to the first shot), the image jumps a bit, when you examine it frame by frame, it looks like a wave that distorts the image geometry by maybe 3-4 frames.

Does this have something to do with bad splices in the printer or telecine machine?

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:46 AM

Hi,

> Does this have something to do with bad splices in the printer or telecine machine?

Often, yes. Usually splices in a finished print occur only once every twenty minutes or so, as that's the point at which it gets taken apart every time it's shown, but I guess if you're projecting an (old) cut negative anything's possible.

Phil

#3 Filip Plesha

Filip Plesha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Other
  • Croatia

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:56 AM

Wnd what exactly does happen in technical terms?
Why does a splice cause this?

Is it because the splice is too fat so the film jumps a bit? Or perhapse the film gets wraped for a few frames? If that is true, how come it stays in focus in the telecine?

The most common place where I've seen this is transfers from old workprints in DVD editions showing deleted scenes. workprints are filled with splices, right?

Edited by Filip Plesha, 06 September 2005 - 08:58 AM.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:04 AM

Wnd what exactly does happen in technical terms?
Why does a splice cause this?

Is it because the splice is too fat so the film jumps a bit? Or perhapse the film gets wraped for a few frames? If that is true, how come it stays in focus in the telecine?

The most common place where I've seen this is transfers from old workprints in DVD editions showing deleted scenes. workprints are filled with splices, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Tape joins cause a jump on telecine. The film is guided by the edges so the join catches very slightly. If the join is taped on both sides then focus can suffer for a frame or 2. The jump is more obvious!

Stephen

#5 Filip Plesha

Filip Plesha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Other
  • Croatia

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:34 PM

Thanks, that sure sounds like what I've been seeing

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc