4 replies to this topic

#1 Gregor Mac

Gregor Mac
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:07 PM

For still photos, I notice that a lot of Travel Magazines still insist on Medium Format for still photographs. Also, Playboy still use Medium Format for the centrefold and the cover.

I am not content to use video (of whatever format) for a travel documentary.

So what format do they shoot most travel docos in? eg Lonely Planet's Six Degrees?

Editing problems aside, would super 8mm (in a proper DS8 camera) with the right film be ok? Or would 16mm? Or Super 16?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:19 AM

Well, if sharp, fine-grain medium format photography is your model, then Super-8 is farther off the mark than HD origination...

Travel shows are shot in all sorts of formats. Some of the cheaper ones use a mix of consumer DV and pro video, some occasionally throw an arty, grainy Super-8 shot in, some are shot in HD (some progressive scan, some interlaced scan), some in Super-16.

Many of Michael Palin's travel series were shot in Super-16, although I don't know about "Himalaya", his last one.

Sort of depends on the station buying it and what they want. Some will take Super-16 transferred to HD, some prefer 1080i HD origination, some would take 24P HD, etc. Some accept consumer DV.

Super-16 or HD is probably the best choice for a high-end travel show with a lot of production value.

#3 Alvin Pingol

Alvin Pingol
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Student
  • California

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:08 AM

Any travel docu's shot in 35?

#4 John Hyde

John Hyde
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:04 PM

Personally, I like the documentary "look" that super 8 and 16mm offers. I think the grainy, hand held look has a news camera appeal that most consider quite beautiful and nostalgic. Artistically this can add even more production value than slick 35mm at less cost.

I use Spectra Film and Video for anything that demands a stylized look with 8, 16 or 35mm formats. They have film, processing and telecine packages done in-house. I recommend that you give them a call for advice. ;)

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:16 PM

For still photos, I notice that a lot of Travel Magazines still insist on Medium Format for still photographs. Also, Playboy still use Medium Format for the centrefold and the cover.

I am not content to use video (of whatever format) for a travel documentary.

So what format do they shoot most travel docos in? eg Lonely Planet's Six Degrees?

Editing problems aside, would super 8mm (in a proper DS8 camera) with the right film be ok? Or would 16mm? Or Super 16?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As television moves to HD, using a 16:9 aspect ratio is almost becoming standard. Even SD travelog DVDs are often letterboxed. Super-16 is well suited and widely used for documentary production. I've seen Super-8 used for segments where a "home movie look" was desired.

http://www.kodak.com/go/16mm

Visual Products

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies