Mungai Kiroga
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Director
  • Nairobi, Kenya

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:06 AM

Hey,
A friend of mine and I would like to do the drop time (bullet time / matrix) effect. Its just a simple experiment we wish to carry out... for the heck of it. I plan to use around six to ten mini DV camcorders.
One challenge I know I will have is the lighting. Is there any hint I can use to ensure optimum, even lighting? I dont want the one camera's picture to look too different from the next'.
Remember that this is an esperiment and I wish to keep it as low (or no) cost as possible, thanks.

#2 Glenn Hanns

Glenn Hanns
  • Sustaining Members
  • 160 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:20 PM

Hey,
  A friend of mine and I would like to do the drop time (bullet time / matrix) effect. Its just a simple experiment we wish to carry out... for the heck of it. I plan to use around six to ten mini DV camcorders.
  One challenge I know I will have is the lighting. Is there any hint I can use to ensure optimum, even lighting? I dont want the one camera's picture to look too different from the next'. 
  Remember that this is an esperiment and I wish to keep it as low (or no) cost as possible, thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What you want to do isnt a simple thing to do even as an experiment. I gather your referring to the shot where Keanu bends backward and the bullets fly past?
10 cameras will give you less than 1/2 of a second realtime. Your biggest challenge isnt the lighting its the camera positions. Because your using mini you wont have to light to ridiculous levels like they did because they shot with still cameras. Also the differences in the lighting will not cause a problem because your actually moving positions, which happens naturally anyway. As you move around something the light changes.

#3 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:03 AM

what you could do is take an image captured from each of the ten MiniDV camcorders, key out the background, and use a morphing program to morph between each of the ten frames. Then key in your own "rolling" background behind. I did this and achieved a good effect with only one camera -- but this meant I had to take the shot a total of 47 times from 8 different angles, and since the shot was me running in sand then leaping sideways while firing dual handguns, it got pretty freakin' tiring. Anyway I would never put that shot in a movie. It's such a cheap thing to do.

Visual Products

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Opal

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS