Sound Speed?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:58 AM

The thing is I know sound speed is 24fps but as is possible to record a wild sync style film shot at 18fps maybe with something like a Mini disk recorder. Would a program like Pinnacle be able to handle a setup like this?

#2 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:01 PM

Well, yes - and no.

First of all, "wild" and "sync" are opposites. Perhaps you mean double system sync sound, where the audio is recorded onto a different machine than the image.

You may be able to perform double system sync with a camera going at any speed you want; 24, 18, whatever, if you have the equipment and patience to do it. Just keep in mind that, if you're planning to have it play back at a given speed, your origination footage needs to be that same speed to match real time movement.

Keep in mind that the motors of almost all Super 8 cameras are not crystal controlled, so the film speeds stated on the knobs are only approximate. If you're wanting to synchronize dialog to your film, you'll need a slate clap at the start and end of each take, so you'll have an idea of how much you have to speed shift your audio to match the image. If you're not trying to synchronize audio, but are just adding extra sounds, you are then free to do that in NLE without a problem.

Edited by Robert Hughes, 06 September 2005 - 02:05 PM.

#3 Ronald

Ronald
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:25 PM

Also, you can do what I do and do a voice over also known as ADR.. I used NLE software and just watch the movement of my mouth and repeat the dialogue in the narration track. It is good to record sound when filming to hear exactly what was said. Sometime the audio has to be replaced anyway due to noise in the background. That is where ADR comes in. Most of my early work was done shooting at 18 fps, but once in the NLE ring, that does not matter because you will do a ADR to the footage.....

RONALD

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:26 PM

If you actually slate your shot and then tail slate it, it should be easy to sync up the shot later on.
Sometimes however, valuable time is lost waiting for the tail slate, so keep that in mind.

If you decide not to tail slate it, you still should do the front slate (with the actual clapping sound) and then in post you can usually drop an audio frame or two to keep sync, or overlap your sound if necessary.

I did sync on a 16mm film in my BetaCam SP suite. It was relatively easy to do. Sometimes we had to stop and start every 6 or 7 seconds, other times the scene would go anywhere from 15 seconds to 45 seconds before losing sync, I would simply restart the edit at that point and resync it up.

#5 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:57 AM

Thanks You guys this is very helpful.

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post