New Canon HD Camera….Fact or Fiction?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dan_Lippman

Dan_Lippman
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:00 PM

New Canon HD Camera?.Fact or Fiction?

This is the million dollar question??. Over the last year I have listened to every conversation, read every article, and tapped my most useful resources but nothing is better that from the preverbal ?Horses Mouth? and that mouth is the fine people at Canon.

I have always wondered if there will be an XL-3 released and my sources at Canon have confirmed that there will be an announcement this month. What that announcement is I have no idea but, what I can tell you is that during my last conversation with Mike Zorich he stated that company officials ?have the intention to release a high-definition camcorder soon. Mike emphasized Canon?s dedication to HDV, and that the XL-2 will be the last SD camera from Canon??? While he did not have a timeline for when a camera would be ready to announce a different format, like HDV / HD. ?We have a lot of work ahead of us in terms of design and engineering.? Zorich added, ?Canon does not have a history of making product announcements a year out; we usually like to announce a product and then make it available for creative users for about six weeks after we announce the product?

Well Canon?s Expo is a week away; my deep digging into one of the most coveted issues this year might pay off?..can anyone guess what the announcement is going to be?

#2 Eric Brown

Eric Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:32 PM

My only concern is the HDV format. From what I've heard it is not as reliable in terms of generating a quality image (i.e.. artifacts, etc.. ) as the HD format. My knowledge on these things is limited at best but if this is indeed the case I would be more excited to see if Canon has developed their own HD and implemented it into the new camera, whatever it may be.
From what I have further come to understand, These formats are proprietary? In other words Canon could not use or license Panasonic's HD codec.
This aside, my enthusiasm to see what the new camera will look like, what it will do, is very high. I've read the announcement will be made on the 15th at the New York show.
If I need straightening out on any of this people, straighten me out. I'm here to learn.
:blink:

Edited by Eric Brown, 07 September 2005 - 08:34 PM.

#3 Chris Youell

Chris Youell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:01 PM

Here you go:
http://www.camcorder...r-Next-Week.htm

#4 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:30 AM

Here you go:
http://www.camcorder...r-Next-Week.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm... I must say I'm a bit disappointed. No 24p, interlace only, $10k+, HDV instead of HD...
This seems like a rushed design... but I won't say more until they release a spec sheet.

#5 Marco Leavitt

Marco Leavitt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:05 AM

If there was ever any doubt that independent film makers are just a tiny market to Canon, this is proof. $12,000 and no 24p? Nobody in their right mind would buy that thing except wedding and corporate videographers, which I guess is the target market.

#6 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:37 PM

Are there any Canon reps here? If there are, could you comment on why Canon chose to not include progressive or 24?

I'm assuming the $12k price tag is due to the glass and ccd... but JVC and Panasonic both got their cams under $10k, so what gives?

#7 Marco Leavitt

Marco Leavitt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:47 PM

I was a little hasty on the price (based on early reports from camcorderinfo.com). Official price from Canon is $9,000. There are some reports that the pseudo 24p (called 24f) that the camera does is not as wretched as Sony's version supposedly is. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Are there any Canon reps here? If there are, could you comment on why Canon chose to not include progressive or 24? 

I'm assuming the $12k price tag is due to the glass and ccd... but JVC and Panasonic both got their cams under $10k, so what gives?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

CineLab

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products