Cedric Larvoire

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France - Czech Republic - South Africa

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:53 AM

Hello everyone. I'm new on this wonderful forum, so as a quick introduction, my name is cedric larvoire, i'm living in prague and I'm working as a ... DP :)

we are shooting a couple of commercials in the next days, and some of them are quite challenging. I'd like to know your opinion on this :

in one shot, the camera is moving towards a backpack where a girl is putting a lot of objects into. We have to see the objects inside the backpack.
I already have a softlight position above, but i wonder if it is gonna be enough. (the ambiance is morning light, so the light can't be too powerful).

Some people suggested me to use micro/miniflo, but i'm afraid it might look very ... artificial.

do you have any ideas ?

thanks !

Cedric

#2 Greg Gross

Greg Gross
  • Sustaining Members
  • 869 posts
  • Harrisburg,PA

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

Can you use a small flashlight of some type inside the sack. It could be concealed
in some way with the objects the sack contains.

Greg Gross

#3 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:15 PM

Sounds like the best solution might be in production design. Maybe a light-colored backpack without so many deep shadows inside (or a translucent one?), or a wide opening to the bag that allows you to see its contents better. Also, the blocking and the way her hands move and the items are positioned, etc. Maybe the opening to the bag is just faced toward the highly-directional morning light. . . Or it could be enhanced in post.

It's back-to-school savings time!! :)

#4 Glenn Hanns

Glenn Hanns
  • Sustaining Members
  • 160 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 September 2005 - 05:36 PM

Hello everyone. I'm new on this wonderful forum, so as a quick introduction, my name is cedric larvoire, i'm living in prague and I'm working as a ... DP :)

we are shooting a couple of commercials in the next days, and some of them are quite challenging. I'd like to know your opinion on this :

in one shot, the camera is moving towards a backpack where a girl is putting a lot of objects into. We have to see the objects inside the backpack.
I already have a softlight position above, but i wonder if it is gonna be enough. (the ambiance is morning light, so the light can't be too powerful).

Some people suggested me to use micro/miniflo, but i'm afraid it might look very ... artificial.

do you have any ideas ?

thanks !
Cedric

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not cut a window in the front of the pack and shoot from the top looking back towards the material that normally is on your back. Place some diffusion over the window then control the amount and colour of the light going inside. If your angle is right the window will be off screen to the left or right.

#5 Jaan Shenberger

Jaan Shenberger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:04 PM

if you wanna keep the light looking natural as possible, then maybe try lighting the scene so that there's enough light to shoot the inside of the bag at an acceptable stop (like say, 2.8) without any special lighting setup for the bag interior, and just pull aperture as you move in on the bag (which will probably be about 4 stops). depending on how the camera move is, you may be able to hide this without much of a problem, and it can be finessed in telecine or post. there are shots that pull aperture in "election" and "what time is it there?" and they're pretty invisible.

otherwise, trying to hide the special rig/light of the bag interior is going to be pretty difficult, if it's one continuous shot. of course, using the pull aperture technique will mean a lot of light especially for an interior.

i briefly lived in prague. what a beautiful place. all that air pollution results in some really gorgeous quality of light-- not being a smart ass, i really mean it.

hope this helps,
jaan

Edited by jaan, 07 September 2005 - 09:09 PM.

#6 Cedric Larvoire

Cedric Larvoire

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France - Czech Republic - South Africa

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:39 AM

Thanks everyone for your advices !

Things are changing in the production, and the scene will be shot in studio... so I can finally have quite a powerful light, I'll have good flexibility with aperture. Indeed, the bag is gonna be on a bed, close to a window, probably on its right. And I might use a white board on a C-Stand above the bag.

I can't wait to see the bag itself for sure. I ask not to find a backpack with black inside ;)

thanks again !

PS : yeah, Prague is nice ;) I've been there for a year now and really like it :D

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Abel Cine

The Slider

Tai Audio

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery