4 replies to this topic

#1 firsttimedirector

firsttimedirector
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:01 PM

Ok, I'm doing telecine today, very excited to see the film on the big screen for the first time. But here is the thing: the telecine house quoted me $190 per blank 60min DigiBeta tape. And they say they only garantee quality if you use their tapes. But when I called a raw stock company I got $34 for a brand new Sony Digi Beta 60min tape. Am I missing something? I've heard that's how they screw you but just didn't think it would be this bad. Is there a chance it's not the same thing? Since I'll be needing more than one tape I don't want to just throw away my cash. Any advice on that and on my telecine session in general would be much appreciated. The colorist's demo reel btw was amazing.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11947 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:35 PM

Hi,

No, that's insane, you're being screwed.

Phil

#3 jasarsenault

jasarsenault
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:53 PM

Yea. I had some footage transfered to DVcam at one place. In my final bill they charged me 50 bucks for each blank DVcam tape they used. I now send all my own tapes!

#4 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:04 PM

Ok, I'm doing telecine today, very excited to see the film on the big screen for the first time. But here is the thing: the telecine house quoted me $190 per blank 60min DigiBeta tape. And they say they only garantee quality if you use their tapes. But when I called a raw stock company I got $34 for a brand new Sony Digi Beta 60min tape. Am I missing something? I've heard that's how they screw you but just didn't think it would be this bad. Is there a chance it's not the same thing? Since I'll be needing more than one tape I don't want to just throw away my cash. Any advice on that and on my telecine session in general would be much appreciated. The colorist's demo reel btw was amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it could be that they've pre-stretched and blacked the tapes.That process would take over an hour of deck time + the tech to do it and is the best way to insure no drop-outs. That certainly sounds steep if not.

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:15 PM

Well, it could be that they've pre-stretched and blacked the tapes.That process would take over an hour of deck time + the tech to do it and is the best way to insure no drop-outs. That certainly sounds steep if not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

I always take my own tapes to Telecine.
There is no problem to assemble edit. I have been in a telecine and had to set up the digi-beta myself! as they said they did not know how to work without pre-blacked tape! The Colorist was not much better with DaVinci!

Stephen

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc