4 replies to this topic

#1 firsttimedirector

firsttimedirector
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:01 PM

Ok, I'm doing telecine today, very excited to see the film on the big screen for the first time. But here is the thing: the telecine house quoted me $190 per blank 60min DigiBeta tape. And they say they only garantee quality if you use their tapes. But when I called a raw stock company I got $34 for a brand new Sony Digi Beta 60min tape. Am I missing something? I've heard that's how they screw you but just didn't think it would be this bad. Is there a chance it's not the same thing? Since I'll be needing more than one tape I don't want to just throw away my cash. Any advice on that and on my telecine session in general would be much appreciated. The colorist's demo reel btw was amazing.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12166 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:35 PM

Hi,

No, that's insane, you're being screwed.

Phil

#3 jasarsenault

jasarsenault
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:53 PM

Yea. I had some footage transfered to DVcam at one place. In my final bill they charged me 50 bucks for each blank DVcam tape they used. I now send all my own tapes!

#4 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:04 PM

Ok, I'm doing telecine today, very excited to see the film on the big screen for the first time. But here is the thing: the telecine house quoted me $190 per blank 60min DigiBeta tape. And they say they only garantee quality if you use their tapes. But when I called a raw stock company I got $34 for a brand new Sony Digi Beta 60min tape. Am I missing something? I've heard that's how they screw you but just didn't think it would be this bad. Is there a chance it's not the same thing? Since I'll be needing more than one tape I don't want to just throw away my cash. Any advice on that and on my telecine session in general would be much appreciated. The colorist's demo reel btw was amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it could be that they've pre-stretched and blacked the tapes.That process would take over an hour of deck time + the tech to do it and is the best way to insure no drop-outs. That certainly sounds steep if not.

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:15 PM

Well, it could be that they've pre-stretched and blacked the tapes.That process would take over an hour of deck time + the tech to do it and is the best way to insure no drop-outs. That certainly sounds steep if not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

I always take my own tapes to Telecine.
There is no problem to assemble edit. I have been in a telecine and had to set up the digi-beta myself! as they said they did not know how to work without pre-blacked tape! The Colorist was not much better with DaVinci!

Stephen

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

The Slider

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport