#1 Daniel Katz

Daniel Katz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 07 September 2005 - 05:14 PM

I am directing a short in Mid November and another short in March of next year in Dublin, Ireland. The film that I will be shooting in March won the Irish Film Board Short Cuts award scheme leaving me a budget of ?80,000, roughly $100,000. I am looking for a DOP, Camera Operator team outside of Ireland. There are numerous reasons for this none of which I will go into now. I actually studied cinematography in Ireland and then in Rockport Maine which I know may put some interested DP's off but I have just completed a low budget independant feature in which I was Directing, Lighting and operating and frankly I never want to do it again. I always admired Steven Soderburgh and perhaps I was trying to emulate him but I guess (1) I dont have one of the best Gaffers in the world and (2) I am unable to fully concentrate on the performances and fully nail my compositions through a shot. This situation leaves me in search of a team that I can fully trust and one that shares at some of my aesthetic sensibilities. The kind of people I am looking for are really people just out of college with good showreels that just haven't had a break yet. The two most important attributes that I am looking for apart from punctuality and hard graft are passion and enthusiasm for the art and craft of filmaking and also the love of being on a film set. I have worked with too many "where's my lunch", "when do we wrap", constantly on the phone to girlfriend/boyfriend people and it really gets me down. I am over in New York for the Cine Equipment Show on the 20th and 21st of this month and I am then flying to Toronto and Montreal to do post production on my feature, after that I am travelling to Chicago and then on to Los Angeles. The short in November will be flights, accomadation, food and per diem. The film in March will be negotiable. I know there are alot of established DP's on this Forum that I cant afford but if you know younger, less experienced people that you think are still up for the job please pass this letter on to them. I am also advertising on mandy.com and looking in London aswell. Anyone interested can email me at danielmpckatz@yahoo.com or post on this forum and I can meet them in one of the cities that I mentioned for an informal chat (please bring your showreels).
I look forward to hearing from anyone interested.
Regards
Daniel Katz
Director - Future Films Ltd
Dublin, Ireland

#2 douger

douger
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:42 AM

I just received an email about this post (see below).

The Irish Film Board have confirmed that the initial post is in fact false. I also do not think these schemes allow non Irish residents on the actual shoot?

I would advise all readers of this forum to approach Daniel Katz with extreme caution given the mail below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 09 September 2005 10:59
To: danielmpckatz@yahoo.com
Subject: RE: Irish Film Board Short Cuts Award Issue

Dear Daniel,

It has come to our attention (please see below) that you have posted false information on a website in relation to our Short Cuts Scheme. We have just selected our Short Cuts for this year and you have neither been selected for this years scheme nor have you received any funding offer from us.

Best wishes,

Jill McGregor
Schemes and Applications Co-ordinator

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab