#1 Don Davis

Don Davis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:08 PM

Hey gang,

I've seen lots of folks use polarizer filters when shooting handheld in outdoor situations. It seems that since the angle of the filter with respect to the light source is constantly changing (due to not being locked down), the effect of the filter would be intermittant. In theory this could manifest in reflections "phasing" in and out of the frame. Is this effect noticeable? What's the accepted practice regarding polarizers and handheld shooting?

Don Davis
Novice DP
Los Angeles, CA

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:59 PM

Hey gang,

I've seen lots of folks use polarizer filters when shooting handheld in outdoor situations. It seems that since the angle of the filter with respect to the light source is constantly changing (due to not being locked down), the effect of the filter would be intermittant. In theory this could manifest in reflections "phasing" in and out of the frame. Is this effect noticeable? What's the accepted practice regarding polarizers and handheld shooting?

Don Davis
Novice DP
Los Angeles, CA

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use them when shooting handheld all the time. If you change your angle to the sun considerably, the effect changes but it is as gradual as your movement. Is it noticeable?
I spose it could be if you were looking for it, but nobodiy's gonna be looking for it. The
positive effect of using the filter when at the exact proper angle (or angle with most impact) far out weighs the times when it isn't so effective, so I leave it on most of the time outdoors. In my opinion, it's always doing SOME good.

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

CineTape

CineLab

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC