Wide angle attachment for Canon 1014xl-s

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Kugler

Andy Kugler
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:24 PM

I'm about to shoot using the wide angle attachment for the canon 1014xl-s which converts the lens to a 4.3mm. Does anyone have any pointers for this attachment? Does it affect exposure at all? Thanks for any help.

Andy

#2 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:44 PM

I haven't noticed any difference with exposure, but it's been a while.
If you want to know for sure, point the camera at something and lock it off with the tripod.
Take a light reading, then put the adapter on, & take another reading.

Check the manual for this (I've used the Canon & the Nizo UWIII, so I may be mixing things up here...) but the other thing is, you need to enable "macro" setting, and actually pull focus to the surface of the adapter. You're actually macro-focusing on the adapter glass.

MP

#3 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

Matt's right, go into macro, and put the focus ring to infinity and fine focus with macro.

Also, Canon recommends you shoot wtih an f-stop of 5.6 or better (e.g. 8) and this is good advice. Shooting wide open results in soft images. I have this adaptor for my 814XLS and I get soft images if I am not at 5.6 or so.

Rick

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:14 AM

I'd like to draw on my experience using my Eumig wide angle lens but I don't recall what I concluded. Probably because most of the time I'm shooting time-exposure. Part of me seems to think that the wide angle lens does tend to change the auto exposure meter because it is taking in so much more area (almost three times the area of the regular wide angle mode).

On the other hand, the wide angle attachment gives the camera auto exposure meter more area to determine the exposure setting, but does that make the auto exposure meter more accurate versus normal wide angle mode?

I forget!

As for f-stop minimum's, I find that wide open usually does makes the wide angle image softer on my Eumig, but I have been satisfied with a minimum of a 2.8-4.0 split, but that is for a Eumig, so perhaps it's higher for the Canon as Rick and Matt suggest.

However an f 4.0 probably would render a decent result.

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC