Photo

Sony DSR-450WS white balance question...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Hall

Dave Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Berkeley Heights, NJ

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:40 PM

I've got a question only a DSR-450 owner would know. On my DSR-390 there is a menu option that allows me to have an "A" and "B" white balance setting for each of the four filter wheels - for a total of 8 different white balance settings. I know that the 450 has done away with the concept of 3200K or 5600K filter wheel settings. (For those of you who don't know about it, on the 450, filter wheel 1 is no neutral density - but can be indoor or outdoor. Each filter wheel setting adds neutral density. Filter wheel 2 is 2 stops, wheel 3 is 4 stops and wheel 4 is 6 stops.) So my question is: can I have 8 different white balance settings with the 450?

#2 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

Hi Dave: The DSR-400 and DSR-450WS can remember independent white balance settings for each of its ND filter positions.

There's also a setting in the "Maintenance" menu under "Function 3", called "WHT FILTER INH" which lets you turn this feature on/off. For more information, refer to pages 52 and 87 in the user manual.

There's another setting which affects this: "WHITE SWITCH [B]"; it's in the "Operation" menu under "Function 2". See pages 52 & 76 in the user manual.

A copy of the DSR-400/450WS user manual is available here in the docs section of cinematography.com.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

#3 Dave Hall

Dave Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Berkeley Heights, NJ

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:20 PM

A copy of the DSR-400/450WS user manual is available here in the docs section of cinematography.com.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm going to download that baby right now! Thanks for the quick reply! It was the news I was hoping for. I couldn't imagine Sony not giving each filter wheel it's own white balance settings!

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Glidecam

Metropolis Post