Menu Meanings

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Christopher Wedding

Christopher Wedding
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:33 PM

I'm in the menu right now, prepping for an upcoming shoot I've come across some menu items that I don't recognize...if anyone can decipher for me, please respond!

Starting in Function 1/5
Detail, 2D LPF, Test Saw, Super Color, Gamma, Flare,H-F Compe.

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:38 AM

I'm in the menu right now, prepping for an upcoming shoot I've come across some menu items that I don't recognize...if anyone can decipher for me, please respond!

Starting in Function 1/5
Detail, 2D LPF, Test Saw, Super Color, Gamma, Flare,H-F Compe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Detail: This is what it sounds like. In order to make a video image more/less sharp electronically,
they artificially sharpen the edge where light and dark meet within your shot. Positive numbers here make the picture look sharper, negative-softer.

2D LPF: Turns on/off the 2-Dimensional Low Pass Filter which reduces cross-color or color moire
noise in fine detail areas when used in conjunction with the "H. DTL. FREQ" (horiz. detail frequency). Will also reduce chroma artifacts on diagonal lines.

Test Saw: This is an engineering test pattern. If you have a waveform, this pattern will show you the impact of the changes you make to the gamma settings.

Super Color: No clue.

Gamma: The mid-range in between the highlights (knee) and the shadows (toe). For a mind-expanding explanation see:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hp/whp053.shtml

click on the "download" PDF. Masochists only:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hp/whp034.shtml
(thanks to Simon Wyndham for turning me on to those)

Flare: The scattering of light rays through the camera's optical system which greatly impacts the blacks. Once you do a black balance with the lens capped, you open the lens and the flare impacts the black response, so this must be compensated for.

H-F Comp.:High-Frequency Compensation increases the gain in the highest frequencies to compensate for fall-off in the MTF (modulation transfer function which is the equation used to describe how a scene is transfered from real-life to the display/monitor/film screen), as the system approaches its' highest resolving power. Turn this off if you are having trouble with high freq. noise.

These are just quickie explanations, see below for more detailed (well, those BBC papers anyway) explanations.

Sources:
BBC (Alan Roberts)
"Digital Cinematography" by Paul Wheeler
"The Goodman Guide" by Robert Goodman

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Opal

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam