#1 freddie bonfanti

freddie bonfanti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Gaffer
  • LONDON

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:32 AM

hi, i am a student and i will shoot a short film next week with lots of greenscreen. although i already know how to light and shoot greenscreen i have a question about a particular shot which my director told me about and which is giving me hard time: he wants to have some greenscreen action reflected into a puddle on the street. the character is walking on the street and once he steps into a puddle he sees a storm of blimps flying in the sky reflected in the water. is this possible? how can i light the greenscreen above him and keep the key green colour safe into the puddle?
i know its an ambitious shot but we are not afraid...
any help will be highly appreciated

#2 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:06 AM

To me, it sounds like the bigger challenge is the fact that steps into the puddle. This will displace, splash, and ripple the water, and any image you key over this puddle will need to follow that as well, and that's extremely difficult.

I'd probably try to shoot that in-camera. Finish your CGI blimp shot first and then project it onto a flat "sky" surface over his head parallel to the floor. The reflections you get will be real ones.

#3 John Allardice

John Allardice
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:47 PM

hi, i am a student and i will shoot a short film next week with lots of greenscreen. although i already know how to light and shoot greenscreen i have a question about a particular shot which my director told me about and which is giving me hard time: he wants to have some greenscreen action reflected into a puddle on the street. the character is walking on the street and once he steps into a puddle he sees a storm of blimps flying in the sky reflected in the water. is this possible? how can i light the greenscreen above him and keep the key green colour safe into the puddle?
i know its an ambitious shot but we are not afraid...
any help will be highly appreciated

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pop down a sheet of mylar,( a thin reflective flexible plastic sheeting) onto the floor, that'll reflect both the greenscreen & the talent. In the comp you'll need to rotomask round the guy's feet, to seperate the area that's going to be distorted as the puddle "splashes". Try to light the mylar sheet as little as possible, just let it reflect.

J

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:39 PM

Hi,

While it's certainly possible to render the complex reaction of a puddle being stepped in, I'd go with the "do it live" solution if there's even the vaguest chance your effects element can be available for the shoot. You could slide project it.

Phil

#5 freddie bonfanti

freddie bonfanti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Gaffer
  • LONDON

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:56 PM

thank you so much, i really appreciate your tips. i will try my best to get it done

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Glidecam

Opal

Technodolly

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

CineTape