DSR-450WS motion tests

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:51 PM

I temporarily attached a miniDV cassette box on a phonograph turntable and shot it with my DSR-450WS camcorder set to various shutter modes and speeds, and at 60i, 24p and 30p. Slow Shutter is an interlaced mode feature.

I adjusted the cam's F-stop and ND filter to yield 100 IRE in the upper portion of the white lettering "DVC" on the cassette box. If the iris ring on the lens was in-between markings, this is indicated by "F4-F2.8" for example. In all of the images the cam was set to 0 (zero) db gain. The front of the lens was about 8" from the cassette box, so I used the lens' macro feature to focus. The turntable was set to 33 1/3 RPM. :)

Within each image I added a text title which describes the specific cam settings used to record the image. Some of the images were deinterlaced using a default filter in FCP 3.0.4; in these cases the text title within the image says "deinterlaced".

I recorded every combination of Slow Shutter and interlaced/progressive mode, but I've only included a few of them here. Let me know if there's a particular combination you'd like to see if it's not here.

60i "static" (the turntable is not moving):
60i_static.jpg

60i "motion" (turntable moving):
60i_motion.jpg

60i motion deinterlaced (using a FCP filter):
60i_motion_deint.jpg

30p motion:
30p_motion.jpg

24p motion:
24p_motion.jpg

Slow Shutter 1/30-sec.:
ss_30_motion.jpg

Slow Shutter 1/30-sec. deinterlaced:
ss_30_motion_deint.jpg

Slow Shutter 1/6-sec.:
ss_6_motion.jpg

Slow Shutter 1/1.9-sec.:
ss_1_9_motion_c.jpg

Slow Shutter 1/1.9-sec. deinterlaced:
ss_1_9_motion_deint.jpg

I hope these images are helpful.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

#2 Dave Hall

Dave Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Berkeley Heights, NJ

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:08 PM

Excellent! That's exactly what I was looking for. The Sony reps at DV Expo could not reproduce what you did. Now I know for sure the feature is there! And it appears that unlike the PD-150/170, the slow shutter of the 450 does not just use only one field. Very cool!! Now I'm absolutely sold on getting a 450...

You still have a TURNTABLE?? :D

Edited by Dave Hall, 13 September 2005 - 02:17 PM.

#3 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:26 PM

... I assume the slow shutter reduces the resolution by only using one field (similar to the PD-150 or 170?)
You still have a TURNTABLE?? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Concerning the DSR-450WS camcorder's Slow Shutter feature and whether it decreases resolution, for comparison, here are more "static" shots you can compare to the 60i static shot above:

Slow Shutter 1/1.9-sec. "static" (turntable not moving):
ss_1_9_static.jpg

Slow Shutter 1/6-sec. static:
ss_6_static.jpg

30p static:
30p_static.jpg

24p static:
24p_static.jpg

As for my still having a turntable: My general rule is I don't part with equipment unless I haven't used it for about 5 years or so. Now that's I've done this test, I'm stuck with this damn turntable for another 5 years. ;-)

All the best,

- Peter

#4 Dave Hall

Dave Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Berkeley Heights, NJ

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:37 PM

Peter,

One more question on this... if the picture is interlaced, does that mean there is a "shimmering" effect of the 2 fields fighting it out for several frames at a time? Your examples seem to show that each field is separated from the other in time. Does it look odd on regular playback? The PD-150 and 170 just use a single field, so there is no flicker (but then again there is only one field of resolution.) After downloading the PDF of the 450s manual, it states that you can only use the slow shutter in 60i mode, so that implies the 2 fields would not be progressive.

Dave Hall

#5 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:13 PM

The PD-150 and 170 just use a single field, so there is no flicker (but then again there is only one field of resolution.)

Dave Hall

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh?

Opal

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks