• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 romeo jesus

romeo jesus
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:24 PM

please check out our new music video!

www.entourage-business.de/download.html

realized on super8 only (k40, tri-x, 7240 ektachrome)
leicina special

have fun

peace

chris

#2 Arnaud M. St Martin de Veyran

Arnaud M. St Martin de Veyran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Paris

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:19 PM

Hey,

I really like it ! Simple but efficient.

I enjoy a tiny bit less the music but still good too.

I'm wondering how you didnt' get so less focus troubles with your super 8 camera ?

I mean there is still some shot out of focus but most of it is acceptable to my taste. What kind of camera did you use and wich lens ?

I'm thinking to shoot a whole short on super 8 and for the moment the different amateur's camera that i tested got big trouble with long shot.

I forward the links ;-)

#3 romeo jesus

romeo jesus
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2005 - 05:26 AM

>I'm wondering how you didnt' get so less focus troubles with your super 8 camera ? I mean there is still some shot out of focus but most of it is acceptable to my taste. What kind of camera did you use and wich lens ?

I used a leicina special plus the prime 10mm cinegon lens and the optivaron 6-66 zoom lens.
on some shots I used the ultrawide lens uwl II in addition to
the 6-66 zoom lens...
most out of focus shots were caused by the ultrawide lens, because
it is very hard to focus properly...so thats my fault!
same thing with some shots of the 10mm prime..situation
got too hectic sometimes..so i did not focus properly..

I took me some time for the black/white scenes and they turned out sharp

adjusting the viewfinder is very crucial!!

thanks for forwarding my link

christian

#4 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:29 AM

This is some nice work, christian. I enjoyed seeing some of it coming together from before, and now I'm glad to see the rest. Excellent use of tri-x super 8. Particularly the now "famous" shot of the kid singing into the microphone.

I'm wondering how you didnt' get so less focus troubles with your super 8 camera ?

I mean there is still some shot out of focus but most of it is acceptable to my taste. What kind of camera did you use and wich lens ?

I'm thinking to shoot a whole short on super 8 and for the moment the different amateur's camera that i tested got big trouble with long shot.

This is a continuing problem with so many super 8 projects you'll see and really the answer is contained in your post.

I had plenty of trouble with focus on super 8 when I first rediscovered the format for myself a little over two years ago. You would think that with super 8's enormous d.o.f. you'd never have a problem focusing. I tape measured, did everything right, and still lots of problems. I couldn't figure out why so many of my images were in soft focus. I went through a half dozen cameras and in the end it came down to the consumer grade zoom lenses from the 1970's which are fixed on most super 8 cameras. It's as simple as that. This is why you see so many amateur attempts at super 8 that are so uneven and soft to blurry -- I'm sure most of those people did everything else right, too.

Zoom lenses from that era are not anything like what we have today unless you spent a lot of money. Primes are just great from that era. Shooting at anything less than an f 5.6 with a 1970's Japanese home movie camera zoom and you're rolling the dice for image sharpness. Maybe you'll get lucky at an f4, maybe you won't. Get to an f5.6 and over and most of them show pretty well, though. Most interior situations make it hard to get into that territory unless you've got a lot of gear for lighting. Problem is, most people try shooting at an f2 or wide open and it's softy city.

So I ended up at a Special myself and use the Cinegon 10mm prime and Optivaron 6 -66 (it's a bayonet M mount). About 80 - 90% of my shots are done with the Cinegon or with the Cinegon with a Century Precision Optics .55x wide angle adaptor that was made for miniDV cameras. Fitted to the Cinegon, there is very little distortion. I simply epoxied one of the adaptor rings inside a Cinegon lens hood and screw it in when needed and have a 5.5mm wide -- just set the macro focus on .14 and keep the subject about a foot and a half away from the front of the camera and that's it. Using this combination I have a 10mm normal and 5.5mm wide and never have to focus and everything is sharp all the time. For close ups and a rare shot that requires zoom, I use the Optivaron and a tape measure.

The only time I get soft focus is when I'm taking a stab at doing a tough macro shot and do a couple of takes to get it right. But that's it! Everything sharp, all the time. No wasted shots or dissapointments anymore. I could see if I was using the wide angle lense with 6 -66 it might get tricky, looking at the focus mechanism. I don't have the schneider wide angle adaptor for the Optivaron.

So I advise people to avoid the Japanese prosumer super 8 cameras for serious work, based on my own experience and what we can see by examining any efforts in dramatic super 8 filmmaking that have used them that are available to us. If you can't find a legendary Leicina Special or don't like them for some reason, the Beaulieus are the only other professional design camera in the format and you can certainly set those up with c-mount primes and they came with a c-mount version of the excellent Optivaron 6 - 66 and what I've read is a terrific lens in the Angenieux 6-80 / 6-90 f1.2 designed originally for NASA supposedly.

Edited by santo, 16 September 2005 - 09:36 AM.

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Opal

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC