#1 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:22 PM

Hi I have some still lenses of my olympus OM camera.
I´m thinking to buy a c mount adapter olympus OM <--------------------> c mount and use a great lens like 50 mm. f 1.4. in my eclair NPR - ACL1
What do you think about this? is this a good idea? which are a good prime lenses for eclair npr?

thanks a lot.

Edited by andres victorero, 15 September 2005 - 02:23 PM.

#2 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:12 PM

The Zuiko lenses for the Olympus OM camera ranges are very good and will definitely mount to your Eclair via an OM to C-mount adapter, which you can buy for around $15-25. They have the added advantage of being small and lightweight, so they won't put a lot of strain on the C-mount. A 50mm f1.4 will create a telephoto lens on a 16mm camera, of course. A 24mm will become a "normal" lens.

One caveat: check to see if the diaphragms on your OM-mount lenses are wide open or closed down to the selected stop when they are mounted to the C-mount adapter. You might have to defeat the automatic diaphragm mechanism of the lenses if they are wide open. I like the Nikon manual focus lenses because they are always stopped down to the selected aperture by default. The Canon FD's stay open when you take them off a Canon body, but the C-mount adapter I have has a ring to stop them down or open them up, effectively turning them into pre-set lenses - very handy. Hope this helps.

#3 Scott Bullock

Scott Bullock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, CO

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

Ian Marks wrote:

"The Canon FD's stay open when you take them off a Canon body, but the C-mount adapter I have has a ring to stop them down or open them up, effectively turning them into pre-set lenses - very handy. Hope this helps."

Can you tell me where you purchased your adapter and/or who manufactured it? I purchased a C-mount to Canon FD adapter with the intention of testing some Canon FD still lenses that I have. However, when I mount the lens to the adapter the aperture remains in the open position when I try to stop it down. Is this a defective adapter or am I just an idiot? I don't have any problems when using my C-mount to Nikon F adapter; it works splendidly. The Canon one, however, has my stymied.

Anyone else have some advice to offer?

Thanks in advance.

#4 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

"Can you tell me where you purchased your adapter and/or who manufactured it? I purchased a C-mount to Canon FD adapter with the intention of testing some Canon FD still lenses that I have. However, when I mount the lens to the adapter the aperture remains in the open position when I try to stop it down. Is this a defective adapter or am I just an idiot? I don't have any problems when using my C-mount to Nikon F adapter; it works splendidly. The Canon one, however, has my stymied."

I don't know who manufactured my adapter and it doesn't bear any identifying markings. If you watch Ebay for a while I'm sure one just like it will come up - just look for a ring on the adapter that says "open - close" or "C - O" or something like that. It really is a nice feature, as you can open the aperture to focus and then instantly stop down to your preselected aperture to shoot.

All of my FD's are the old breech-lock type with the chrome ring. On my lenses, I believe that the diaphragm actuation lever (the one with a kind of "dog leg" cut out of it) can be pressed in and will lock into place, making the aperture work manually, like a cine lens (this is according to memory, as I don't have a lens in front of me). Hope this helps.

#5 Scott Bullock

Scott Bullock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, CO

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:43 PM

"All of my FD's are the old breech-lock type with the chrome ring. On my lenses, I believe that the diaphragm actuation lever (the one with a kind of "dog leg" cut out of it) can be pressed in and will lock into place, making the aperture work manually, like a cine lens (this is according to memory, as I don't have a lens in front of me). Hope this helps."

It makes complete sense that the adapter I purchased should have some kind of "open and close" ring for the aperture, but it doesn't. My lenses are exactly as you described; you mount the lens and then turn the silver ring 90º to lock it in place. I tried to get the aperture lever to lock to no avail. Could it be that I have the wrong adapter? It seems like it should work because my lenses mount on it without any problems. Obviously, however, it's not going to do me any good if I have to shoot everything at open aperture. :( Maybe the adapter was designed for FL lenses instead of FD ones; I'm not sure if the mounts on these lenses were different or not. If I could just get the guy who sold it to me to answer my emails . . . <_<

#6 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:34 PM

Maybe the adapter was designed for FL lenses instead of FD ones; I'm not sure if the mounts on these lenses were different or not. If I could just get the guy who sold it to me to answer my emails . . . <_<

---FL and FD breech lock mounts are identical.
The FL can switch between Auto and Manual.

---LV

#7 Scott Bullock

Scott Bullock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, CO

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:37 PM

Thanks Leo!

I think I've found a place that sells a proper adapter for my FD lenses. I'll let y'all know when it arrives.

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Abel Cine

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Technodolly