#1 Louis

Louis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Student
  • San Fernando Valley, CA

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:27 AM

I'm shooting a short coming up that will originate on film (regular 16mm) and end up on video, but i also want to shoot some flashbacks on super 8, and I want the super 8 shots to really stand out. My question is: If I just shoot super 8 normally and regular 16 normally, how much of a difference will there really be between the two when they are seen on a regular-sized TV screen? Would I have to push-process ths super 8 to make it stand apart better, or should I just shoot it normally?

Edited by Louis, 16 September 2005 - 12:28 AM.

#2 Marty Hamrick

Marty Hamrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Oshawa, Ontario

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:55 AM

I'm shooting a short coming up that will originate on film (regular 16mm) and end up on video, but i also want to shoot some flashbacks on super 8, and I want the super 8 shots to really stand out.  My question is: If I just shoot super 8 normally and regular 16 normally, how much of a difference will there really be between the two when they are seen on a regular-sized TV screen?  Would I have to push-process ths super 8 to make it stand apart better, or should I just shoot it normally?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The difference will be noticeable, no doubt.How much of a difference is still dependent on what stocks you chose in either format,lighting conditions,processing and transfer.For example,if your 16mm is a fine grained negaive stock and your super 8 is reversal,the difference will be very jarring and noticeable.

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:36 AM

No doubt you will see the difference (Format size DOES matter!). Likewise, using a reversal stock will provide a different "look" than anything shot on color negative -- generally in the direction of higher contrast and reduced latitude for the extremes of shadow and highlight.

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

CineLab

Glidecam

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC