Good telecine in San Francisco/Nor-Cal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Shepard

Chris Shepard
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:57 PM

Hello all,
I'm up in Northern California and will be shooting a bit of 16mm this winter. I was hoping to find a telecine in northern California for my project. Can anyone recommend one?

Also I'm still a bit new at this film thing, is there a site or FAQ somewhere that explanes the whole telecine process and why I need a good colorist etc? I'm just a little confused why I can't just drop off the film somewere and get it laid to a digital tape for a flat fee instead of paying per hour of telecine time. I would think you could just get it scaned like still film and color adjust it in FCP or simular program? Like I said I'm just a bit confused... I'm coming from shooting digital.

Thanks a bunch!

#2 Scott Squires

Scott Squires
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:10 AM

Check with Spy Post in San Francisco.
You can do some color correction in post but you have the greatest range to do it when it's being telecined. The full dynamic range of the film is available at that stage and subtle color changes can be done. Once it's digitized, especially in an 8 bit color space you've lost some of the information, making it difficult if not impossibel to obtain the same results in pure digital post.
Most color negative isn't as consistent as you would hope, isn't as free of color shifts as you would hope and doesn't usually have the right richness when just dumped directly. This is especially true if you hoping to obtain a specific 'look' as in many commercials and other content.

#3 Chris Shepard

Chris Shepard
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:15 AM

Thanks for the SPy Post tip, Looks like a good company. I'll contact them. Any places in SF that do both lab work and telecine?

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for the SPy Post tip, Looks like a good company. I'll contact them. Any places in SF that do both lab work and telecine?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Monaco is one of the "one stop shop" labs:

http://www.monacosf.com/

http://www.kodak.com.../labLocator.cgi

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Ritter Battery

CineTape