#1 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:14 PM

Another recent film caught at my favorite local theater Cinema 21 (Portland, Oregon).

At 150 mins I was engaged throughout.

I've not seen anything else by Arnaud Desplechin since Love Without Pity (1989), though I've been wanting to see My Sex Life (1996) which also stars Mathieu Amalric and Emmanuelle Devos (from Kings and Queen).

Kings and Queen
Capsule by Jonathan Rosenbaum
From the Chicago Reader

There's something about the goofy sprawl of French writer-director Arnaud Desplechin--his obscure uses of "Moon River" and Greek mythology, his unlikely casting of a black woman as a famous psychotherapist--that irks me even when he's being brilliant. But this powerhouse 2004 movie lingers, and maybe, like his characters, Desplechin needs his eccentricities. Costarring two of his favorite actor-creatures, Emmanuelle Devos and Mathieu Amalric, as a single mother and her deranged ex-husband, this melodrama follows their narratives separately (she learns her father is dying; he gets committed to a sanitarium) before allowing them to commingle. It adds up to more than the sum of its parts, but you may not realize it for a day or so. With Catherine Deneuve. In French with subtitles. 150 min.

After seeing the trailer a few weeks back I was not at all interested in seeing the film, but found myself at the theater where it is playing due to a lack of other interesting movies (Darwin's Nightmare...didn't want to watch video...Searching For The Wrong-Eyed Jesus...also didn't want to watch video).

Shot on Kodak stocks (which ones I don't know), processed at Eclair. Don't know which camera was used but there are some wonderful images of Grenoble in the film.

Alain LeTourneau

#2 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:34 PM

Don't know which camera was used but there are some wonderful images of Grenoble in the film.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found a still of the director looking through the viewfinder of an Arri 535.

Alain

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

CineTape

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery