Michael Shubitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Israel &middle east /Europ

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:12 AM

Hi Everyone

In about a month I am starting a documentary series sailing along the mediteranian. I am supposed to deliver smooth and stable shots from a boat on the sea. There are going to be several boats in the film.Big ones do not cause me trouble but I am worried from shooting on a zodiac or a small fisher boat. Is there any stabilizer or possibility to shoot from a floating boat towards the beach and get stable shots even if the sea is not quite? Until now I used in similar situations a hand held camera and balance the movement with my body. In this film I am afraid it will not be enough.

Thanks

Michael Shubitz

Israel

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:56 AM

Hi Everyone

In about a month I am starting a documentary series sailing along the mediteranian. I am supposed to deliver smooth and stable shots from a boat on the sea. There are going to be several boats in the film.Big ones do not cause me trouble but I am worried from shooting on a zodiac or a small fisher boat. Is there any stabilizer or possibility to shoot from a floating boat towards the beach and get stable shots even if the sea is not quite? Until now I used in similar situations a hand held camera and balance the movement with my body.  In this film I am afraid it will not be enough.

Thanks

Michael Shubitz

Israel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It depends if you want to have a stable horizon or stable boat deck. For the first one, you'll have to get some sort of gyro-mount like this:

http://www.imar-navi...gl/dat_blt4.htm

or a steadicam harness. If you want the boat deck to be stable (although the viewer may get seasick) you can just shoot off a tripod sitting on the deck or off the shoulder. I've done both of those options but never tried a gyro or steadicam on a boat. Shooting off-the-shoulder on a boat can be grueling as I'm sure steadicam would be, too. If you're in a speedboat going fast in rough water, the camera can inflict some serious blows to your head and shoulder!

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Glidecam

Tai Audio

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

CineLab