#1 Gareth Munden

Gareth Munden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:29 AM

I'm putting together some cost on a short . Can anyone tell me where I can get a good price on 16mm Camera/Lens hire , I'm also looking for an operator for the above . I'm based in London , so it needs to be in the south east .

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:26 AM

Hi,

Depends what you're after exactly, but I got a stonking deal from Mark Hope-Jones who I believe is connected with Arri in Middlesex - send me a forum message with your phone number and I'll pass on your details.

It's a fairly basic s16-modified SR1, and the viewfinder is less than fantastic, but he seems to have access to some decent lenses and the price is attractive.

Phil

#3 Sol Train Saihati

Sol Train Saihati
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Gaffer
  • London

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:05 PM

Yes!

Hope-Jones is your man : www.vorticistfilms.com

Excellent Kit, well looked after and a decent priced packaged. If you're a student, speak to Panavision, they're heading into their offseason so you could certainly swing a deal for an SR3 if you were nice enough - but don't take no for an answer! (If you're a student you can get a basic SR2 S16 kit for £100 + Vat.) There are other houses around who will also cut you a deal if their equipment would otherwise be on the shelf collecting dust.

Post up on this forum for an operator/Ac's. Contrary to popular belief, I have also found some great people on www.shootingpeople.org.

PM me if you're having any trouble with anything, time is tight as always, but will see what I can do to help you out.

Good Luck Mate!

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

Mark's the guy I was going to put you in touch with - I had no idea he had a website, and the phone number I had for him appears to be out of date, so just go there.

I'd stop short of calling the camera "excellent" - it's sync-soundable but far from silent, it appears to be a somewhat elementary conversion as the viewfinder image is rather poor, and we had one mag door swing magically and terrifyingly open on us during a shot so watch the latches. However, the viewfinder issue was more than made up for by the excellent standard of the rest of the package, which was very complete and of sterling quality. No steadiness issues and the resulting material looked great on a Spirit.

Phil

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

CineLab