#1 mospeaker

mospeaker

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:53 PM

footage shot recently in 24PA upon playback tape contains many errors.

audio drops out intermittently (not a big problem as audio was recorded seperately as well)

video is "jumpy" and tiling occurs often. also little squares of static pop up all over image from time to time.

is there any chance of salvaging this tape? any programs or methods that can restore the information?

will not even capture into final cut...returns error "capture aborted due to a break in cadence in the VFR/Pulldown in the source stream" when capturing using pulldown removal. will sometimes capture ok without pulldown removal but of course video is still damaged.

any ideas? right now i'm looking at an $800-1000 re-shoot.

also, any ideas about the culprit/cause of this problem? second tape worked fine, no errors.

i suspect tape number one was subjected to high heat or moisture. only other possibility is it was a defect from the factory. anyone ever tried to send a tape back to panasonic for recovery? can you do such a thing?

i'm looking for any and all input.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:23 AM

Hi,

I assume you've tried cleaning heads, playing it back on other decks, particularly DVCPRO decks which tend to have very fast/wide tracking.

The only other thing you could try to do would be capture it as 30i, so it isn't worrying about trying to unwrap the 3:2 pulldown (thus removing a reason for it to fail). Then, capture it several times in a row, and you might get lucky enough for it to give you all the parts of every frame at some point, which you could then comp back together.

Of course, this could end up being gigantically labour-intensive, but it depends how much material there is, how bad the artifacting is, and what it means to you.

Phil

#3 mospeaker

mospeaker

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:08 PM

Hi,

I assume you've tried cleaning heads, playing it back on other decks, particularly DVCPRO decks which tend to have very fast/wide tracking.

The only other thing you could try to do would be capture it as 30i, so it isn't worrying about trying to unwrap the 3:2 pulldown (thus removing a reason for it to fail). Then, capture it several times in a row, and you might get lucky enough for it to give you all the parts of every frame at some point, which you could then comp back together.

Of course, this could end up being gigantically labour-intensive, but it depends how much material there is, how bad the artifacting is, and what it means to you.

Phil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have tried all of the above except using a DVCPRO deck. good advice, it's worth a try.
thing that scares me is that no matter what deck i playback on so far, the errors are very consistant.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc