• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:40 PM

I'm interested in what people's experience has been using wide angle and telephoto adapters on lenses, particularly those of you who have seen the results projected (unlike myself!).

I've used them a few times (16mm & Super8) and the results are fine with a video finish, but I'm wondering if this is a big no-no for anything professional, or being projected.
I never hear anyone talk about these.
I've got a nice Canon and a nice Nizo (Schneider) wide angle adapter, & a Canon 1.67 telephoto adapter, so they're nice glass, but...
What do you guys think?

MP

#2 Dimitrios Koukas

Dimitrios Koukas
  • Sustaining Members
  • 569 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, Greece, London UK

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:57 PM

I'm interested in what people's experience has been using wide angle and telephoto adapters on lenses, particularly those of you who have seen the results projected (unlike myself!).

I've used them a few times (16mm & Super8) and the results are fine with a video finish, but I'm wondering if this is a big no-no for anything professional, or being projected.
I never hear anyone talk about these.
I've got a nice Canon and a nice Nizo (Schneider) wide angle adapter, & a Canon 1.67 telephoto adapter, so they're nice glass, but...
What do you guys think?

MP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Century optics and OPTEX have made some really good tele converters and wide lens adapters that have been used from proffessionals, do some tests though if you are going to do anything ''extreme''. Carefull with the wide-angle converter's cause sometimes u can see the edges of the lens inside your frame.

Only use them though if u don't have any other solution, or your lens set can't cover the focal length you want.

Once I wanted to macro photo a finger's nail showing Greece in an earth's sphere that it was as big as my thumb, for this I have used two Angenieux lenses one 10mm pan-focus and one 50mm oposite the 10 mm.(DOn't aske me how I set the f/stop, I just guesed it viewing thru my eypiece.
It worked really well, and yes I have seen it projected.

So I guess that probably there is no problem using any converters that have been made for proffessional use!
Dimitrios Koukas

The Slider

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc