Sol Train Saihati
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Gaffer
  • London

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:21 AM

Hello All!

I'm photographing a S16 short next week and have been granted persmission to shoot stock tests. We would love to perform a bleach bypass tests on a couple hundred feet of film, but cannot find a lab in the UK willing to skip bleach on a S16 neg, does anyone know anywhere that offers the process? We may be willing to go outside the UK, to Europe or Scandanavia for the processing and perhaps for Telecine too if the price is right.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:35 AM

Hello All!

I'm photographing a S16 short next week and have been granted persmission to shoot stock tests. We would love to perform a bleach bypass tests on a couple hundred feet of film, but cannot find a lab in the UK willing to skip bleach on a S16 neg, does anyone know anywhere that offers the process? We may be willing to go outside the UK, to Europe or Scandanavia for the processing and perhaps for Telecine too if the price is right.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

You could get it done in Zurich if you wanted, almost all processing is to order! While you wait. Just over an hour with cleaning! They have a Spirit at 1000 chf an hour with 0.5 hour minimium, about £450 hour, or I might be able to find you a Shaddow for less!

If you want more info send me a PM.

Stephen

#3 coolbreeze

coolbreeze
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:42 PM

I shot a commercial about three weeks ago and had technicolour UK give me a 100% bleach bypass on the original camera neg. Deluxe have also done it for me in the past.
They wont/cant offer a 50% bleach but ive never had any difficulty getting a 100% bleach on 16mm or 35mm from either company.

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:15 PM

Hello All!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As you know, "Bleach Bypass" is exactly that -- the processing machine is threaded to bypass the bleach step in the ECN-2 process:

http://www.kodak.com.../h247/h2407.pdf

Since it requires stopping and changing the threading of the machine, there has to be sufficient demand/volume to justify the lost production time. So having only a couple hundred feet of film run with bleach bypass is problematic if there are no other productions using bleach bypass too.

#5 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:14 PM

I think the Ascent labs (Soho images etc) will do it but you might wind up paying through the nose for the lost time - as mentioned in John's mail

Most of the companies will try put you off - you have to make it sound like it is definate i.e I am shooting a bleach bypass how much will it cost - to which they reply "how many feet" to which you say "first we have the tests - about 2000ft then we do the film and we guarentee x feet" they will hum and har - they will give you a cost but as I said it might get quite high

I have a contact if need be in Ascent - PM me

thanks

Rolfe

#6 Sol Train Saihati

Sol Train Saihati
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Gaffer
  • London

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:06 PM

Thanks very much for your help all, hugely appreciated as always.

I was convinced that Technicolor did'nt offer the service, but we gave them a shout and they're more than willing to process tests with both a 50% and 100% bypass respectively, (At extra cost of course, but nothing too extreme). Apparently they have been getting many more requests for this kind of work lately. Far from being gimmicky, I've always firmly believed that it's just another weapon in the arsenal, so it's good to hear they're being more open minded about the procedure. Especially for those of us who cannot usually afford a print.

Ps. Cheers Stephen, I may just PM you about that Zurich house in the Future, these London rates are hurting my feelings. :blink:

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:47 PM

Ps. Cheers Stephen, I may just PM you about that Zurich house in the Future, these London rates are hurting my feelings.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Both labs in Switzerland charge about £100 surcharge for bleach by pass. Tomorrow they will be busy I shoot 1600 feet today! Chances are it will be the only footage they process tomorrow morning. Sometimes I've shot a camera test of 50' and that was all they had to process.

Stephen

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Opal

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

CineTape

Abel Cine

Visual Products