Shooting in 720p

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 razerfish

razerfish
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:02 PM

Since DVD's resolution is 720p, wouldn't it make sense to shoot in 720p on a cheaper prosumer camera if your movie is going straight to DVD anyway?

What's the major advantage of shooting with a F900 or other camera that does 1080p or better if it has to be downconverted to 720p anyway? I'm talking major advantages here. I realize downconverting still looks better than upconverting and probably better than media filmed in native resolution, and I know that colors will probably be slightly nicer, and of course lenses and DOF issues, but if the film isn't going to make it to a theatrical release, why not shoot in DVD's native resolution?

Advantages: cheaper camera, no expensive deck needed (I think it lets you do firewire out straight to your computer), easier to edit

Has anybody considered this?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:23 PM

Current DVD's are standard def video, not 720P.

#3 David Cox

David Cox
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • london, UK

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:57 PM

Yes, DVD is standard def - unless you are talking about HD DVD which is still in a pre-release format war. So the end of your suggestion would be to shoot with a DV camera, cos thats the right resolution.

HOWEVER! Resolution is not the be-all and end-all. Actually I would suggest it is one of the more minor issues when talking about overall picture quality (in this context). With a pro-sumer camera, you get a cheap lens. The cameras dynamic range is very compromised leading to nasty clipped hilights etc. So even if you down converted to compressed SD for DVD (DVD is compressed by over 30x from even uncompressed SD) you will still see the difference between an original shot on a prosumer camera and a professional camera or even film camera.

David Cox
Baraka Post Production

#4 Boone Hudgins

Boone Hudgins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Other
  • Toledo, OR

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:38 PM

I believe that DVD's horizontal resolution is at or around 720, but the vertical is 480, no?

#5 Robert Sanders

Robert Sanders
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Director
  • Studio City, CA

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:40 PM

I believe that DVD's horizontal resolution is at or around 720, but the vertical is 480, no?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DVD resolution is 720x480 progressive. Which means it's 480P. Anamorphic DVD resolution "unsqueezed" has an effective resolution of 853x480.

720P has a resolution of 1280x720.

#6 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:51 PM

Best reason I can think of is that an HD version of DVD will be here as soon as the format war is over. HD via other delivery systems will also be a market for your film. Compare that future market with the extra cost of 1080p over 720p, and the context of your entire budget. Unless your budget is nearly nothing, the delta to get to 1080p is really cheap insurance for the future value of your picture.

-- J.S.

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Opal

Aerial Filmworks