3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cooke

Chris Cooke
  • Sustaining Members
  • 246 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lethbridge, AB Canada

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:47 PM

I just got back from seeing March of the Penguins. I wanted to see this movie since I read about it in AC Magazine. The cinematographers on this film are hardcore. In light of the conditions though, they got some amazing footage. Research on a doc like this would be essential.
I was not impressed with the quality of the film but that had a lot to do with the projection at Paramount in my town (off center, jumpy and scratches). Also the blowup from 16mm to 35mm doesn't help.
Morgan Freeman helps make this doc interesting with his unique narrative style.
The underwater scenes and the penguin closeups were my favorite parts of the film. I think that some of the underwater scenes were CGI though. Also, was there a D.I. done to certain scenes? I noticed both a digital colorist and a film colorist on the credits.

#2 Charlie Seper

Charlie Seper
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:41 PM

There's a good chance that hi-def was used for the underwater footage as that seems to be a big trend today. That might account for the digital colorist etc.

I haven't seen the film yet but have been thinking about it. If you get a chance, and haven't yet seen it, rent the DVD of "The Endurance". There were some great shots in that one, mostly in Antarctica as well.

#3 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:00 PM

"Penguins" just didn't really do it for me. I mean, it's not BAD or anything, and those who worked on it are certainly commended for the lengths they went to, but. . . maybe I just watch waaaaaay too much Discovery HD at home, but it didn't seem to be any better than most of those shows, so I didn't get what all the buzz was about. It's probably just because it had been awhile since a nature doco got much mainstream attention. I inevitably compare it to "Winged Migration" in that regard, which I thought was far superior in every way, and much more engaging.

I think I'm gonna ask Freeman about narrating some of my home movies. . . Jeesh, how many is that for him now?

#4 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:25 PM

I didn't get what all the buzz was about.  It's probably just because it had been awhile since a nature doco got much mainstream attention.  I inevitably compare it to "Winged Migration" in that regard, which I thought was far superior in every way, and much more engaging.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this although my 7 y.o. liked "Penguins" more. 'Course he was 4 back then and would only sit through an entire film if it was animated.

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

CineLab

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

The Slider