#1 Mat Fleming

Mat Fleming
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:08 AM

Hi,

I am operating the camera for a project where the finished film will be on standard 16mm for projection.
However the camera I have acess to is a Aaton LTR set up for super 16. How can I tell where the edge of the frame will be? There are no markings in the viewfinder. Do I have to have it adjusted? Also do I have to adjust the position of the lens and if so is this a difficult thing to do? Of course the productgion has very little money.
I have shot very little before on anything other than a bolex or a bell and howell, So I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.

cheers

Mat

#2 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:46 AM

Depending on the vintage of and / or modifications to the LTR it could very well be switchable between super and regular. If it isn't for some reason you can send the camera in to have the 1.33 area taped off on the ground glass.

The poor man's method, jsut to give you an idea what you're framing for might go as follows:

Make a framing chart with a rectangle with 1.33:1 proportions. Put your camera on a tripod and tape the chart to the wall, level with the optical axis of the camera. Frame up the rectangle so that it's top and bottom lines match those of the 1.66:1 (Super 16 gate) top and bottom lines. match the chart's frame-left line with the gate's frame-left line and that's where regular 16mm ought to be. The area frame-right, outsde of your framing chart is the super 16mm annex. It is enough to give you a rough idea of what you're framing for if you can't get the ground glass taped. If you have a video tap, even better. You can tape off the monitor.

The mount and viewfinder will not be recentered though. You'll always be framing for screen left in the viewfinder and your zooms will track improperly (as in drift to one side as you zoom) as the optical center and zoom axis of the lens are not recentered for the old format. But... it works well enough for some people... give it a try and see if it bugs you.

- Nathan

#3 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:48 AM

Oh! If it is switchable we charge one hour of labor at $120/hour for that service. To tape it, I think it is three hours of labor, but I'd have to double check.

#4 Mat Fleming

Mat Fleming
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 September 2005 - 10:27 AM

Thank you

The poor man's method sounds like the one for me. You're sure it's the left side of the frame I want and the right that'll be outside the 1.33 frame? There are no zooms planned so that's not a problem. You're suggestion made me think I could put some kind of matte on for framing the shot and then remove it for actual shooting. Thanks again,

Mat

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Opal