#1 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:21 AM

So tell me, Im a going nutts, or did anyone else see that in the "Fast Movement" sections of the film, the charactors has this Red kinda "Aliasing" (spelling?). I didnt see it in the other parts, and it primarily appeared in the one seen where Vincent is running at warp speed through the woods.

It was so pronouned infact, I had to Blink several time to see if my eyes where playing tricks on me... But it was still there.

Was this just a bad print, poor projection or was something really wrong?

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:02 PM

So tell me, Im a going nutts, or did anyone else see that in the "Fast Movement" sections of the film, the charactors has this Red kinda "Aliasing" (spelling?). I didnt see it in the other parts, and it primarily appeared in the one seen where Vincent is running at warp speed through the woods.

It was so pronouned infact, I had to Blink several time to see if my eyes where playing tricks on me... But it was still there.

Was this just a bad print, poor projection or was something really wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could it be an artifact from the digital capture?

#3 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:14 PM

It reminded me of something you would see when you try to blow up a digital picture taken with a single chip digial camera. you know the color problem you get? where all the colors seem miss matched, etc. That seems very much what this was, but im no photo expert.

#4 Jaan Shenberger

Jaan Shenberger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:16 PM

haven't seen it, so i can't really say, but... it is highly unlikely to be a result of the capture. i've seen that/a similar shot in the trailer and i would guess that it's one of the shots using a CGI background (meaning the puppet was shot on greenscreen). it also has camera-motivated motion blur, which was undoubtedly added in post during the compositing process. so it's most likely to be a flaw in the effects, rather than due to acquisition or format.

also, they did shoot it on high-end digitial still SLRs, but they downrezzed the frames before they output it to film. so it's unlikely to be related to the CCDs or fundamental image quality. what you describe sounds like color aberration, which is usually a result of crummy optics/glass, rather than CCDs. it might've been a result of doing dramatic color grading AFTER adding synthetic motion blur, which can easily cause such flaws.

Willys Widgets

Opal

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Technodolly

CineTape

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies