Mad Hot Ballroom

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Seper

Charlie Seper
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

I saw this at a Landmark theatre in St. Louis a couple of days ago. It was shot in 24p on a DVX100A, but unfortunately this was one of the worst examples of miniDV footage I've ever seen on the big screen. (And only a 20' screen at that). I'm guessing an NTSC cam was used and without an anamorphic adapter. In other words, it was likely shot in the cam's cinematic mode (as far as I know this cam has never offered a squeeze mode) or cropped in post, and with all the pixels that were already lost using an NTSC cam you could sure see the loss in definition on-screen. Also, most of it was hand held footage and that got bothersome after a while.

However... it was a really funny movie. Everybody was laughing so hard that they never thought twice about the poor quality of the film. Worth seeing I think.

"November" is finally coming to town on Oct-7. I'll let you know how that one compares with this quality wise.

#2 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1735 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:23 AM

Considering its a documentary, its no more than I expected. whats important, to me anyway, is that the story is good. I can sit through 5 hours of badly shot footage if the story is good, but if the story is bad, no matter how glossy and format shot on, It wont be worth the admission cost to me.

Although, a nice, glossy movie WITH a good story is always the best, but those are few and fare in-between.

#3 Charlie Seper

Charlie Seper
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, same here.

#4 mark f

mark f

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:04 PM

Hello:

Actually this film was put together over quite a long period of time when many different cinematographers and cameras were used for filming. That is why your getting some very weird motion issues with the final material.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Technodolly

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Visual Products