#1 joey p

joey p

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:58 PM

I will be using this camera for shooting short films and possibly a feature lenth movie. Could anyone list the pros and cons of this camera. Is there a better camera for the price range? Any information would be appriciated.

#2 Sam Javor

Sam Javor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:04 PM

My impression is that it's basically the modern version of the AG450 which was my first camera. The bad is that it's a single chip camera...and 1/4 inch sensor.

Finding a better camera depends on a lot... like how tech saavy and creative you are. I used an old ENG S-VHS camera a Panasonic WV-F250 that for my feature... I added a studio adapter and recorded digitally... minus the iBook the cost of the system is in your price range... however it's an awful lot of crap to lug around...and had increadably poor low light performance... but when lit looks very nice for less than $1k. Even when analog most eople who should know "ie my video profs and editors" usually said "wow that looks nice"

It depends on how long you're going to spend on your projects too... we spent about 6 months shooting so we needed a camera system that would last that long and be good enough to make it worth while... whithout breaking the bank... as money is often best spent infront of the camera.

#3 joey p

joey p

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:06 PM

thanks to zekthedeadcow for the reply. could you tell me why single chip camera...and 1/4 inch sensor is a bad thing and what should I look for in this area. Also could you tell me why 3-ccd is better than 1-ccd. sorry if these are dumb questions but i am new to shooting with video. i am interesting in the minidv format but i do not want to waste money on something that may not be any better that my high 8 digital camera.

#4 Sam Javor

Sam Javor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:04 AM

Basically:

Sensor size is important because each sensor has about the same ammount of pixels so as the sensor get smaller they get crammed together more and more which adds noise. "professional" camcorders usually have atleast 1/2" sensors and more commonly 2/3" sensors. Thgood prosumer ones usually have a 1/3" sensor.

multiple sensors are used to capture each primary color independently which can do a lot of things... if a pixel goes bad in the red channels it won't affect green or blue, there is less noise, color correction can be internally aplied to one channel without effecting the others.

If you have a digital8 camera I would spend the money on other necessary equipment like a good microphone (atleast an AT835) , lights, and a sound recorder. Each of those could easially burn through $1k on their own and they have a much longer life expectancy :) Being a student it will probably be a lot easier to meet people with a camera than a lighting package or microphone...and therefore if you have a decient lighting or sound package you would quickly make friends :)

You're going to be better off with an ok camera and an ok lighting and sound package than a good camera with no lighting and sound package.

Abel Cine

The Slider

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Opal

Paralinx LLC