#1 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:07 AM

I apologize if this is not the appropriate place for this topic, but I had a question about a new light/exposure meter I bought recently. Admittedly, I am inexperienced with light meters, so I've been doing a lot of reading on them. The new one I purhcased is a Spectra professional. Along with the unit and a case, I received inserts for different ASAa, a rounded white disk is for incident light measurement and the flat disk insert for reflected light. My question is this: I also received an insert that is flat like the reflected disk, but it is clear, and the surface is comprised of many small round prisms. Basically, it looks like an insect eye. Does anyone know what this attachment is for? I'd love any help!
Best,
BR

#2 Dimitrios Koukas

Dimitrios Koukas
  • Sustaining Members
  • 569 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, Greece, London UK

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:11 AM

I apologize if this is not the appropriate place for this topic, but I had a question about a new light/exposure meter I bought recently.  Admittedly, I am inexperienced with light meters, so I've been doing a lot of reading on them.  The new one I purhcased is a Spectra professional.  Along with the unit and a case, I received inserts for different ASAa, a rounded white disk is for incident light measurement and the flat disk insert for reflected light.  My question is this: I also received an insert that is flat like the reflected disk, but it is clear, and the surface is comprised of many small round prisms.  Basically, it looks like an insect eye.  Does anyone know what this attachment is for?  I'd love any help!
Best,
BR

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is to do reflected light readings, like the ones an SLR camera is doing.
U just point this to your subject.
Dimitrios Koukas

#3 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 29 September 2005 - 10:30 AM

Yes, it is the accessorie for reflective light.

The flat disk is to meter illumination, in either footcandles or lux, according to what unity you like.

If your specrta is the model I'm thinking of (it would be worth you to tell what model it is), you have a switch on the front, in the upper left part of the panel, under the reading frame marked f-stop/illumination or f-stop/FC-Lux, that you use to either meter an illumination or a F-stop Number. I think the choice beetween Lux and Footcandles has to be done by switch at the rear (may be in the battery depertment) or by a mode selection, I don't recall at once...

#4 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

I apologize for not mentioning the model. It is a Spectra P-251 From the look of it, my meter only does fc, not lux.
Best
BR

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

CineLab