#1 Michael Louis Hill

Michael Louis Hill
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:42 AM

sorry to just spew emotion out like this but i swear i can't keep myself ffrom bouncing off the walls at the moment. i thought this film was amazingly beautiful. i haven't felt this for quite sometime. i draw much of my inspiration from painting so this film to me was just unreal. i found myself unabel to sit still through certain shots becasue i was blown away at their beauty..the lighting...the frame...just incredible. i wonder if anyone else felt the same.

#2 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:47 AM

I can't wait. Not only is Oliver Twist one of my favorite books - if there's one man who can do it justice it's Polanski. Oliver Twist is dark, brooding, suspenseful and tragically funny at the same time, something no one seems to lick - they always turn it into some childrens movie or something. Lean got it right with his 1948 version and this version shows the same promise. And one could do worse than have Pawel wield the lightmeter on one's film... :P

#3 Frank DiBugnara

Frank DiBugnara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:51 PM

Saw it on Sunday....I agree it was a great film. If you liked Oliver Twist, be sure to catch the 2002 Nicholas Nickleby--Amazing writing.

#4 Grainy

Grainy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Director

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:17 PM

Didn't care for it myself -- I thought the script was empty and episodic, Polanski seemed to be phoning it in editorially, and he certainly vanilla-ed up a few of points in the book. (for example, oliver is the illegit grandson of the guy who adopts him in the end; which to Dickens spoke volumes about why oliver was differnt than the other kids, maybe Polanski didn't like the class assumptions or something)
Also felt that the photography was dime-a-dozen. The high-con brown tones I see every time I turn on the TV, and it looked like the whole thing was prepped so it worked well with the fakey looking CG backgrounds.
Sorry. :)

Glidecam

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio