#1 Abraham Cherian

Abraham Cherian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:27 PM

Hi
Was wondering if anybody has filmed with the HVR-Z1 and the mini 35 and later slowed the footage down in post?
I plan to film a TV Commercial in PAL and later slow the footage down by 25%. Does the footage strobe or create artefacts or do any such thing that makes it unusable?

Abraham

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 01 October 2005 - 03:48 PM

Hi
Was wondering if anybody has filmed with the HVR-Z1 and the mini 35 and later slowed the footage down in post?
I plan to film a TV Commercial in PAL and later slow the footage down by 25%. Does the footage strobe or create artefacts or do any such thing that makes it unusable?

Abraham

Hi,

Are you recording in 50i DVCam? If so it will look the same as DVCAM slowed down by 25%! If you like that sort of thing !

Stephen

#3 Abraham Cherian

Abraham Cherian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the reply - a few clarifiacations

I am filming in 50i, but does that mean that withor without the mini 35 the effect of slowing it down in post will be the same?

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the reply - a few clarifiacations

I am filming in 50i, but does that mean that withor without the mini 35 the effect of slowing it down in post will be the same?

Hi,

I think slowing down the tape will be the same. The mini 35 adapter is just an optical system added.
I've been happy with the Z1. Only problem is it's about 100 asa. With the mini 35 you will need alot of light!

Stephen

#5 Dudu Stoz

Dudu Stoz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:06 AM

if you film 60i in the HDV mode you can get a good 40% pal and 50% nts slomo without the strobing effect by deinterlacing the footage (you make a frame from each field) and 25% with a slight strobing effect

#6 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:59 PM

Keep in mind that if you shoot in interlaced, wether 60i or 50i, when you slow things down a good edit software will split the feilds into 2 frames. since each feild is taken at regular intervals if you slow everything down by a factor of 2 (50% slow) you actually end up with smooth motion (though you do cut resolution in half, shoot 1080i). Make sure your shutter isnt too long, maybe 1/200 will work well (long shutters stutters and flickers). also make sure you slow in a quality program, one that can handle feilds (avid, premiere, final cut are a few options)

as with anything else a few days before your shoot get the camera and test test test. see what you like. I ended up using a slowmo effect that did show artifacts because it seemed to fit within the project.

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Opal

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly