Sony PD170 vs. HDR-FX1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rabjohn

rabjohn
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:05 AM

I'm trying to decide between the Sony PD170 and the Sony HDR-FX1 (open to other suggestions as well). I was hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions for me...

1. Does the FX1 have true native 16:9 as opposed to the PD170's cropped 16:9? Is the FX1 a better option than the PD170 with a Century anamorphic converter?

2. Does the FX1 only shoot on miniDV or HDV and not DVCAM? Is DVCAM on the PD170 better than miniDV on the FX1?

3. Is the PD170's progressive scan mode better than the FX1's interlaced cinemode?

4. Are there any limits/compatibility issues with HDV? Will HDV show on a regular television basically as if it were regular miniDV?

I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks,

-Rabjohn

#2 gnasr

gnasr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:45 PM

Rabjohn,

I'll try to answer as many questions as I can.

First I think the FX1 is a VX2100 equivalent in the hdv world. To make an upgrade for the PD-170, you should look at the HDR-Z1U that has pro audio and other pro features.

The FX1 itself is a good camera with higher resolution than the PD. And yes, it has a native 16:9 CCD.

The FX1 shoots only in minidv and hdv formats. You would need again the Z1 to record on dvcam format. Dvcam records at higher speeds and have audio lock feature.

The PD's progressive mode sucks!

HDV will only play in HDV decks, but it downconverts in camera and you will be able to watch it in any TV set.

gnasr

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc