James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

I'm directing a short coming up in two weeks and tonight we tested the XL1s with an assortment of 35mm SLR Photography lenses mounted on the front with an ELS adapter. This is a problem. As you probably know the image falling onto the chip is too big and you lose a considerable amount of focal length. I was trying to use a 24mm lens and getting a CU from 2 & 1/2 metres away, after designing my shot list and a 24mm in my head looking like a 24mm i realised i was stuffed...

So, i'm electing to bite the bullet and cough up (600aus if i can get it cheap for four days) fro a 35mm Prime Lens Kit. I thought i would come here and ask before i spend 1/3 of my budget and also i was a little confused so i was wondering about some questions.

? Using the P/L's on DV do you think i will need a 'experienced' focus puller, let alone one at all?
? Look wise, do you think it's worth spending such money on an Xl1 image?
? Is there anything that is different, like needing to pump more light in?, more latitude in the image? that sort of stuff.
? Has anyone shot like this and had troubles?

Thanks,

James.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

Hi,

I'm directing a short coming up in two weeks and tonight we tested the XL1s with an assortment of 35mm SLR Photography lenses mounted on the front with an ELS adapter. This is a problem. As you probably know the image falling onto the chip is too big and you lose a considerable amount of focal length. I was trying to use a 24mm lens and getting a CU from 2 & 1/2 metres away, after designing my shot list and a 24mm in my head looking like a 24mm i realised i was stuffed...

So, i'm electing to bite the bullet and cough up (600aus if i can get it cheap for four days) fro a 35mm Prime Lens Kit. I thought i would come here and ask before i spend 1/3 of my budget and also i was a little confused so i was wondering about some questions.

? Using the P/L's on DV do you think i will need a 'experienced' focus puller, let alone one at all?
? Look wise, do you think it's worth spending such money on an Xl1 image?
? Is there anything that is different, like needing to pump more light in?, more latitude in the image? that sort of stuff.
? Has anyone shot like this and had troubles?
Thanks,

James.

Hi,

Are you using a P+S technic adapter?

If yes, you will need a focus puller if the subject is moving. There is about 2 stops lost in the system.

If not your stuffed as with the SLR lenses!

Stephen

#3 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:57 AM

Hi,

Are you using a P+S technic adapter?

If yes, you will need a focus puller if the subject is moving. There is about 2 stops lost in the system.

If not your stuffed as with the SLR lenses!

Stephen

Yeh, i will be using the P+S adapter...

Have you used the primes on DV before? if so do you think it's worth it?

Thanks, James.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:13 AM

Yeh, i will be using the P+S adapter...

Have you used the primes on DV before? if so do you think it's worth it?

Thanks, James.

Hi,

I have played a couple of times and will again this weekend with some Cooke S4's. For me the problem is price! It looks very nice for DV. If you have lots of dialoge it's cheaper than film, if its just a couple of packshots and one roll of film, its difficult to justify! Film does look better.

If I had a choice between Cooke S4, P+S adapter on DV or Sony F900 and DigiPrimes I would go with Digiprimes on F900. If it was between a Sony 730 with a Zoom I would probably take the P+S on DV, but it all depends on the script and the final format required by the producer

Stephen!

#5 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:38 AM

Look wise, do you think it's worth spending such money on an Xl1 image?

You may want to check out the music video for The Forecast "These Lights" . [Just in case you're not familiar with Yahoo Launch, the video plays after the thirty second commercial :) ]

The video was directed by Major Lightner and the DP was Kevin Maistros who shot with a Canon XL-2 using 35mm lenses and a P + S Mini 35 adaptor.

As far as price when it comes to renting the P+S you may want to consider this company Indie Rentals

I'm not associated with the company in any way.

#6 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:03 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys, it's obvious 35mm lenses look great for DV, but it is a difficult choice, i just don't like the standard lens it comes with....I'm definantly shooting with the XL1, and it looks like a zoom rather then a prime to cut down st-up times (is there much difference qualty wise???)

Wendell, thanks for the rental option but i'm in Australia. Melbourne actually only has two p&s adapters that i can find at the moment.....and both seem to be out :(

Thanks,

James.

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:38 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys, it's obvious 35mm lenses look great for DV, but it is a difficult choice, i just don't like the standard lens it comes with....I'm definantly shooting with the XL1, and it looks like a zoom rather then a prime to cut down st-up times (is there much difference qualty wise???)

Wendell, thanks for the rental option but i'm in Australia. Melbourne actually only has two p&s adapters that i can find at the moment.....and both seem to be out :(

Thanks,

James.

Hi,

Only problem with 35mm Zooms is they generally weigh a Ton! Also I think you need zooms that cover S35. Some cheaper older ones will cover 1:1.85 but you must check. The quality of modern Zooms is very close to Primes. Even a 30 year old Cooke 20-100 is still usable today. Stanley Kubrick owned one which he used in Eyes Wide Shut and the Shinning.

Stephen

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Opal