Jill George

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student
  • Bozeman, MT

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:59 AM

I am looking for films with good examples of POV shots being used throughout. Any suggestions?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:23 PM

Vertigo & Rear Window

#3 Ben Schwartz

Ben Schwartz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • New York, NY

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:02 PM

Check out Dark Passage and Lady of the Lake for interesting uses of the subjective camera...Lady of the Lake actually sustains it for the entire film. The original Halloween is a good one also.

#4 Jill George

Jill George

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student
  • Bozeman, MT

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:32 PM

These are great examples, but more specifically I'm looking for POV use that is motivated by something other than suspense. I keep coming up with horror films, but I'm looking for something different. Perhaps for an unusual type of character like a deaf person, an animal, or any situation where POV becomes an integral part of telling the story. Thanks!

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:42 PM

These are great examples, but more specifically I'm looking for POV use that is motivated by something other than suspense. I keep coming up with horror films, but I'm looking for something different. Perhaps for an unusual type of character like a deaf person, an animal, or any situation where POV becomes an integral part of telling the story. Thanks!

I'm not sure why you can't learn anything from the use of POV in Hitchcock's films. Not all the POV shots in "Vertigo" are to generate suspense. Most of the early part of the movie is about Jimmy Stewart following Kim Novak around town.

POV's by nature are psychological more than comedic, since they take you into the subjective world of a character.

Jane Campion often uses odd POV shots, like in "The Piano".

Of course, there's "Being John Malkovich"...

#6 Jill George

Jill George

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student
  • Bozeman, MT

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:07 PM

Perfect, I will take a look at those titles. I have recently watched "Rear Window" as well as "Halloween," but I'll definitely check out "Vertigo" again and see if I can get my hands on "Lady in the Lake." Appreciate the suggestions.

#7 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:07 PM

There's a 'well known' old Americaan black and white film (which I've never watched completely) where the whole story is seen from the main male character's POV throughout the whole film. We never see him apart from once (or twice) when he stands in front of a mirror and then we see his face. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember what the it's called...any takers?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

#8 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:09 PM

The tour-de-force when it comes to impressive operating has to be Kathryn Bigelow's Strange Days. Check it out - it blows most other things away as far as POV's go.

#9 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:23 PM

Russian Ark is one long POV shot, all done on steadicam in one take. It's worth a look.

#10 Kim Sargenius

Kim Sargenius
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:04 PM

These are great examples, but more specifically I'm looking for POV use that is motivated by something other than suspense.

If you can get hold of it, there's a Dutch film called 'Zusje' (Little Sister) that is told entirely through the 'video journal' of the main character.

Kim Sargenius
cinematographer
sydney

#11 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:48 PM

Terminator has some memorable POV shots. And Strange Days as AdamF suggested.

#12 Boone Hudgins

Boone Hudgins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Other
  • Toledo, OR

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:03 PM

I seem to remember the series finale of Tales From the Crypt was completely through the eyes of a man that had plastic surgery to make himself look like Humphrey Bogart. It was even his POV after he was dead.

#13 Joshua Provost

Joshua Provost
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:56 PM

The Bogart film is "Dark Passage," one of my favorites. The first half of the film is POV, until he heals from the surgery and sees the big reveal. (Not to be confused with the really horrible spoof film "The Man With Bogart's Face"!)

#14 Ben Schwartz

Ben Schwartz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • New York, NY

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:31 AM

There's a 'well known' old Americaan black and white film (which I've never watched completely) where the whole story is seen from the main male character's POV throughout the whole film. We never see him apart from once (or twice) when he stands in front of a mirror and then we see his face. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember what the it's called...any takers?

That's Lady of the Lake.

#15 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:53 AM

hi

look for the t.v. show called "pip show" it take the p.o.v to a new level

it's a british comedy.

ram

#16 Jason Debus

Jason Debus
  • Sustaining Members
  • 311 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:00 PM

Just watched 'The Final Cut' with Robin Williams. Of course all of the 'clips' of peoples lives are POV shots, but what's interesting is that you find yourself applying that to the characters in the real world, because in that movie anyone could possibly be a camera. (there is a technology in the movie that you can implant a chip in your head and it will record audio & video of your whole life).

#17 Samm

Samm
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:04 PM

I would also say final cut for great use of p.o.v not oly for the shots but as an element of the story. requiem for a dream also has some fantastic p.o.v stuff though the style doesn't drive the whole movie.

samm

Edited by Samm, 10 October 2005 - 12:05 PM.

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

The Slider