Lens Selcection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jbraver

jbraver
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:28 PM

Can some of the more experienced DPs talk about lens selection and filters. what lens has what effect, what color filter does what that kind of thing.

thanks,

Jake

#2 jbraver

jbraver
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:40 PM

sorry about the typo in Selection

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:42 PM

It would take a book to answer that question... hey, I happen to have written one...

Just kidding. But honestly, explaining lenses and filters would take chapters. Do you have a more specific question?

#4 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:47 PM

Can some of the more experienced DPs talk about lens selection and filters. what lens has what effect, what color filter does what that kind of thing.

thanks,

Jake

Don't be so lazy. Start here:

http://www.cinematog.../shop/books.asp

The first one on the list is co-written by one of the board regulars. I guess you could say he's one "of the more experienced DP's" and the best thing is: He wrote that book just for you, to answer that very sort of question.

#5 jbraver

jbraver
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:55 PM

It would take a book to answer that question... hey, I happen to have written one...

Just kidding. But honestly, explaining lenses and filters would take chapters. Do you have a more specific question?

I was brought up shooting on fixed lens video cameras. I have never had exposure to what diffrent size lenses do to a shot, or what a color filter does to a shot.

BTW does any one have a recommendation for a good color theory book?

hope that clarifies my question,

Jake

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:11 PM

I was brought up shooting on fixed lens video cameras. I have never had exposure to what diffrent size lenses do to a shot, or what a color filter does to a shot.

BTW does any one have a recommendation for a good color theory book?

hope that clarifies my question,

Jake

Don't most video cameras have a zoom lens? If you've used a zoom lens, then you already know what different focal lengths do to a shot just by zooming in or out. I haven't heard of any video cameras with a fixed prime lens.

No, I don't know of a good color theory book. Regarding filters, "Image Control" by Hirschfeld is a good one.

#7 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:01 PM

You could experiment with simulated filters in Photoshop to get an idea of the basics. Or, buy the recommended book. Trial and error is a tough way to learn.

Brian

#8 Joseph White

Joseph White
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:39 AM

although i'm not necessarily a huge fan of it, for the basics and more to-the-point nuts and bolts stuff about color, tone, and composition, i'd reccomend Bruce Block's "The Visual Story". He's a professor at USC where i went for grad school and a really smart guy. Its a good book to get yourself exposed to a lot of the "rules" in terms of color and other visual elements, but remember its just a guide. Lots of good things contained therein, though.

Hope it helps.

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

CineTape

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks