5 replies to this topic

#1 CoreyAndrews

CoreyAndrews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:08 PM

Hello, being someone who is highly interested in filmmaking but at the same time having no real genuine knowledge or practice (i'm saving for a Panasonic AG-DVX100A), I was wondering, since I'm always looking around here and find myself quite lost most of the time, does anyone know of a site that explain the bare essentials. Basically I'm not sure where to start in understanding the technical side of things. Is there a filmmaking for dummies? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated, thank you :)

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:26 PM

Hello, being someone who is highly interested in filmmaking but at the same time having no real genuine knowledge or practice (i'm saving for a Panasonic AG-DVX100A), I was wondering, since I'm always looking around here and find myself quite lost most of the time, does anyone know of a site that explain the bare essentials. Basically I'm not sure where to start in understanding the technical side of things. Is there a filmmaking for dummies? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated, thank you :)

Hit the books, Baby:

http://www.cinematog.../shop/books.asp

Start with the first one on the list. The guy who co-wrote it is a regular here so if you have questions about where to go from there, you can get that. The only substitute for book-learnin' is many years of experience and only one of those is an option for you right now.

#3 CoreyAndrews

CoreyAndrews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:41 PM

Hit the books, Baby:

http://www.cinematog.../shop/books.asp

Start with the first one on the list. The guy who co-wrote it is a regular here so if you have questions about where to go from there, you can get that. The only substitute for book-learnin' is many years of experience and only one of those is an option for you right now.

excellent, thanks :) sometimes it's hard to know being that there's a ton of books out there. I'll have to order it. :)

#4 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:43 AM

"""I was wondering, since I'm always looking around here and find myself quite lost most of the time, does anyone know of a site that explain the bare essentials"""

Check this link out:

http://www.video101c...om/300home.html

Good luck,
Jonathan

#5 CoreyAndrews

CoreyAndrews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:03 PM

"""I was wondering, since I'm always looking around here and find myself quite lost most of the time, does anyone know of a site that explain the bare essentials"""

Check this link out:
http://www.video101c...om/300home.html
Good luck,
Jonathan

Hey! That was actually very helpful, thank you very much! :D

#6 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

When you read up a bit I would recommend picking up a cheap super 8 camera and shooting some film to get a feel for it.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera