2 replies to this topic

#1 Abyssa Znebaka

Abyssa Znebaka
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:10 PM

My goodness, I am working on a documentary that will be 90 minutes and I am using windows movie maker with a Canon ZR60 for a camera. The files size for 15 minutes was 3 gigs that means my 90 minute documentary will take 18 gigs which means there is no way I can fit it on one DVD. I tried to save the segments I have edited so far using all the other formats but the playback is horrible. The only really high quality playback is on the DV-AVI Format. Can anyone help me here? What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Abyssa Znebaka, 04 October 2005 - 06:11 PM.

#2 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:16 PM

A couple things. One, these files are pretty tiny compared with what a lot of video and film people deal with on a daily basis; multiply that by five. Two, to create a "video" DVD, not a data DVD like what you're talking about right now, you will have to compress the final version to MPEG-2 anyway, which is much smaller size that what you're working with right now. Even at that, though, you're really pushing it to get 90 minutes onto a single-layer DVD-R (the blanks that most people buy), because the bitrate (quality) will have to be pretty low. If you could put it on a dual-layer DVD (like most of the commercial movies you see on DVD) there's plenty of room for higher quality. And of course, you'd need a burner that could do dual layer.

Yes, if you were just moving your working DV files from one computer to another via DVD that's not going to cut it, you'll need a portable hard drive or something.

#3 Sam Javor

Sam Javor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:25 AM

if you're backing up data you could use a filesplitter to break it up into smaller segments...however if it's for long term storage if one disk fails the entire thing will. Don't try to use a harddisk as a backup medium as they arn't meant to do that as they are very fragile. You could buy a archival tape drive as thats how data is "supposed" to be backed up.

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks