#1 Derek Leverette

Derek Leverette

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:09 AM

A very basic question because I'm still learning: how do I get rich blacks in miniDV? I've only begun to experiment with video, and for now I have no access to 24p or HD. I would like to shoot low-light scenes where much of the frame falls to black, or at least near to black. What I'm getting is visual "noise" in the black areas, no doubt a symptom of what the camera sees as underexposure. Is it possible to get true blackness on a prosumer, miniDV-only camera?

#2 Dimitrios Koukas

Dimitrios Koukas
  • Sustaining Members
  • 569 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, Greece, London UK

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:46 AM

A very basic question because I'm still learning: how do I get rich blacks in miniDV? I've only begun to experiment with video, and for now I have no access to 24p or HD. I would like to shoot low-light scenes where much of the frame falls to black, or at least near to black. What I'm getting is visual "noise" in the black areas, no doubt a symptom of what the camera sees as underexposure. Is it possible to get true blackness on a prosumer, miniDV-only camera?

Hello,
First of all disable the auto gain feature of your camera.
It must be somewhere on the menu, if you don't have this option, then u just can't.
You see consumer cameras come with this auto tools just because there aren't for proffesional jobs.
Dimitrios Koukas

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:50 AM

Hi,

If you mean "rich blacks" to mean the sort of results you get on film, what you're actually after is somewhat crushed blacks. A few prosumer level cameras have adjustable black level, but usually for fine control you've got to be using something at least on the level of a DSR-500 or so.

However, you can achieve near-identical results in post, and you probably should - use the dynamic range you have to its best extent by underexposing, then pump it back up in post and getting everything back where you want it.

Phil

#4 George Lekovic

George Lekovic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:03 PM

Hello,
First of all disable the auto gain feature of your camera.
It must be somewhere on the menu, if you don't have this option, then u just can't.
You see consumer cameras come with this auto tools just because there aren't for proffesional jobs.
Dimitrios Koukas

even DVX100 has settigns for black piedestal - once you raise it it will preserve black areas from fogging and will leave them black.

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Opal

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

CineTape

Tai Audio