TV SHOT IN HD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ashulkind

ashulkind
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:50 PM

I need examples of current and recent television dramas and comedies shot in HD for a film course I am teaching. thanks....

#2 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1735 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:21 PM

This might help: CLICK HERE

#3 Stas Tagios

Stas Tagios
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:34 AM

Here's a few that I know of (supplemented with info from the prod. credits in ICG magazine). Some of these I watch, many I've never even heard of:

According to Jim
Arrested Development
Barbershop
Battlestar Galactica
Bernie Mac
8 Simple Rules
Eve
The George Lopez Show
Less Than Perfect
The L Word
Reba
Related
Rescue Me
Sleeper Cell
What I Like About You
Zoey 101

Here's a link to a Millimeter article, discussing Showtime's switch to 24p HD for all of its original programming:

http://millimeter.co...focus_08_23_05/

#4 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:58 PM

I need examples of current and recent television dramas and comedies shot in HD for a film course I am teaching. thanks....

For network shows, all sitcoms currently on the air on all 6 networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, WB, UPN) are shot on HD video except for Two and a Half Men, King of Queens, Scrubs (single camera, but still basically a sitcom), That 70's Show, and perhaps one or two others that I'm forgetting, which are all on film. For dramas, the only shows on those networks that are HD video originated are Just Legal, Night Stalker, and Sex Lies and Secrets. All other network dramas are shot on film.

On cable, all HBO scripted programs with the exception of Curb Your Enthusiasm (which is only barely scripted) are on film. "Curb" is shot on standard definition video. All Showtime original programming is currently HD video originated. That would include Weeds, Huff, The L Word, and a few others. On basic cable, the only film shows I can think of are Monk, Nip/Tuck, and The Closer. Just about all other basic cable programs are HD video originated. That would include the Stargates, Battlestar Galactica, Rescue Me, The Dead Zone, and a number of others.

#5 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:02 PM

and perhaps one or two others that I'm forgetting, which are all on film.

One of the ones I forgot is Will and Grace, which is still on film. Joey was on film for its first season, but was switched to HD video this season.

#6 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:37 PM

All Showtime original programming is currently HD video originated. That would include Weeds, Huff, The L Word, and a few others. On basic cable, the only film shows I can think of are Monk, Nip/Tuck, and The Closer.

Weeds looks like it started out being shot on HD, then switched to 35mm for the last few episodes. (Can anyone verify this?) For what it's worth, despite my usual preference for film, I thought Mary Louise Parker's smile cut through better on HD. (It's a great smile.) Either that, or maybe it's just the weed.

#7 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 October 2005 - 12:54 AM

Weeds looks like it started out being shot on HD, then switched to 35mm for the last few episodes. (Can anyone verify this?) For what it's worth, despite my usual preference for film, I thought Mary Louise Parker's smile cut through better on HD. (It's a great smile.) Either that, or maybe it's just the weed.

Weeds was never shot on film. All episodes were shot on 24p HD video.

#8 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 October 2005 - 02:02 PM

On cable, all HBO scripted programs with the exception of Curb Your Enthusiasm (which is only barely scripted) are on film. "Curb" is shot on standard definition video.

What about The Comeback? Looks like SD to me, but could be HD. Horrendous show by the way.

#9 Paul Maibaum ASC

Paul Maibaum ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 163 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 October 2005 - 02:36 PM

"Related", a network 1 hour "dramady" is shot on HD with Sony F900 cameras from Clairmont.

#10 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 30 October 2005 - 02:57 PM

Aloha Paul:

Welcome to Cinematography.com. I?m currently shooting ?Boarding School? in Hawaii. It?s a drama about teenaged girls trying to become pro surfers. We shoot on VariCams from Wexler.

#11 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 October 2005 - 03:16 PM

Weeds was never shot on film. All episodes were shot on 24p HD video.

The last few episodes of the series had a significantly more diffuse look than the earlier episodes, as well as a more 35mm looking depth of field. Something was definitely altered in the production style. Do you know what was done? When they rerun the first season, this should be apparent.

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Opal

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio