Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:33 AM

Check this out:

http://www.pstechnik...er-demo-dvd.php

I kinda wish I hadn't seen this cuz now I'm gonna have to get one. Watch all the videos. It's an amazing little piece of equipment.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:39 AM

Check this out:

http://www.pstechnik...er-demo-dvd.php

I kinda wish I hadn't seen this cuz now I'm gonna have to get one. Watch all the videos. It's an amazing little piece of equipment.

Hi Tim,

Had a play with one yesterday. Its very simple to use, the learning curve takes a few minutes!

Stephen

#3 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:12 PM

Hi Tim,

Had a play with one yesterday. Its very simple to use, the learning curve takes a few minutes!

Stephen

How did you like it? The videos on their website are VERY persuasive.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

How did you like it? The videos on their website are VERY persuasive.

Tim,

It's as easy as it looks! Very well made. Using the laser pointer it takes under 2 minutes to line up a target to track around. I've operated Motion Control rigs for 25 years, I think its a winner.

Stephen

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:22 AM

Hi,

For what it's worth P+S said somebody had posted 'How to build a P+S Skater' on the web. I've googled and not found anything so far.

I don't even think it's overpriced when you see how well its made.

Stephen

#6 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:41 AM

Hi,

For what it's worth P+S said somebody had posted 'How to build a P+S Skater' on the web. I've googled and not found anything so far.

Stephen

Only TWO rental houses on the east coast of the US! That's not good. The P&S website sells it for $4450 Euros while the USA dealer (ZGC) sells it for $6225 USD. That's a pretty serious mark-up, maybe worth a trip to München! Did Oktoberfest already happen?

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:04 AM

Only TWO rental houses on the east coast of the US! That's not good. The P&S website sells it for $4450 Euros while the USA dealer (ZGC) sells it for $6225 USD. That's a pretty serious mark-up, maybe worth a trip to München! Did Oktoberfest already happen?

Hi,

Oktoberfest was 17 September- 3 October so it has gone for this year.

It should be around $5430 at today's rate. Give ZGC a call, as they priced it last year then the dollar was weaker than today!

At IBC they offered 10% discount to somebody who asked when I was on the stand!

I had a look at the complete DVD, its really a cool bit of kit!

Out of interest what is the rental day / week rate?

Stephen

#8 david west

david west
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:48 AM

Hi,

Stephen

if you really want to make your own it has been reverse engineered here...

http://www.hbsboard.com/

the tricky part becomes the math in the formulas to adjust arcs, and the machining of parts that size isnt cheap... then if you ever go to sell the darn thing you only have a "homebuilt skater"....

some of the attempts looked rather simplistic while others were well machined imitations...

#9 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:05 AM

if you really want to make your own it has been reverse engineered here...

http://www.hbsboard.com/

the tricky part becomes the math in the formulas to adjust arcs, and the machining of parts that size isnt cheap... then if you ever go to sell the darn thing you only have a "homebuilt skater"....

some of the attempts looked rather simplistic while others were well machined imitations...

David,

Thanks for the link, interesting site.

Stephen

#10 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:25 PM

Hi Stephen,

There is another here: http://www.dvxuser.c...?t=34435&page=3
Posted Image

You can tell by looking at it that it does not have the variety of adjustments as the Skater, most notably the fore-aft rocker and the locking wheels for pivet points. It probably flexes at key stress points, which is why I question its' suitability for one of your 35mm rigs. Good for hoot, nonetheless!

Let me ask you this: What are some situations better suited for the Skater instead of a Sorenson rig? Based on what you've seen, would you consider the Skater a replacement? Or, a companion?

#11 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:54 AM

[quote name='Brian Wells' date='Oct 10 2005, 08:25 PM' post='70501'

Let me ask you this: What are some situations better suited for the Skater instead of a Sorenson rig? Based on what you've seen, would you consider the Skater a replacement? Or, a companion?
[/quote]

Brian,

The Skater I see as a companion to all existing grip equipment from a simple tripod head, dolly to full size motion control.

The designer has worked with motion control (moco) for many years and owns at least one motion control rig. If you need frame accurate multi passes for complicated compositing then a moco is needed.

The disadvantages of a moco is generally, they are large and heavy. Large as in the way to light the shot! Heavy means long set up times. Also when you change direction on any heavy system using gearing there is possibly of some vibrations and shaking.

Often I work with Advertising agency's. If using moco they will want 10 slightly different versions of every move because they can! I would prefer to spend the time shooting completly different shots!

As the Skater is so light you can start shooting as a dolly, and then pick up the rig to go hand held!

Stephen

#12 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:12 PM

I just played with one at Otto Nemenz in LA and it is fantastic - cannot say enough good things about this. The build quality is rock solid. It is light, quiet and easy to use. In my brief time with it - I set the first 2 wheels with the laser pointer and the final wheel with the charts - cause it is hard to set the third wheel by pointer unless you take the rocker plate off - in which case you might move the dolly.

I did some tests and set the dolly to spin around its own centre and placed it right by the edge of a table and spun it gently about 15 times - with no movement towards the edge of the table and therefore accurate. When spinning it looks like it is off centre cause the the wheel to centre distances are different for each wheel - looks very weird when spinning but works...

The one problem is that the smoothness is almost too good - we need it to do a large tracking shot 2cm off the floor around some dancers so I can see it will hit the bump joins on wood or will need one large piece of wood - what we might do is lay some lino on a smooth studio floor - but it wasn't really designed for long shots anyway

Push seems more accurate then pull

my 2 cents

thanks

Rolfe

#13 matthew david burton

matthew david burton
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:51 PM

I was verry impressed at the quality of the video more than anything !
Any idea's how it was compressed ?

many thanks
-matt

#14 Charles Haine

Charles Haine
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Colorist
  • New York

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:24 AM

Out of interest what is the rental day / week rate?

Stephen

JL Fisher is renting them out here in Los Angeles for $125 a day.

He repeats many times in the video how you shouldn't try and figure the wheels out for yourself, and when I shot with one last week, I have to say he was right. The shot was almost perfect, but an actor changed their mark and I figured I could just tweak a wheel and get it to work. Total failure, with the dolly skipping halfway through the move, because two of the wheels where on a different path than the third.

Just saw dailies yesterday from the shoot, and have to say that I was completely impressed. Someone here mentioned they thought pushing was smoother than pulling, but I didnt find that to be the case at all, our pull-out was rock steady. Additionally, the sound guy said it was louder pushing than pulling.

They told me at the rental house to keep it to 400' loads or less, but of course we shot out all of our 400 mags and wanted to get 1 shot off before we had time to reload, so we throw a 1000' on for one take, and I felt like it performed admirably (the smoothest take, either because of practice, or maybe because of the extra weight).

In terms of the home made units, the rocker plate is one of the best parts of the rig, allowing you to get very precise in your framing. I guess you could throw a small sand bag on the home made rig, but this is another one of those cases where it's going to get used so seldom that you might as well rent as needed instead of build/own, I think.

chuck haine

#15 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:07 PM

Just wathced those clips... I WANT ONE!

Technodolly

CineLab