4 replies to this topic

#1 KKB22

KKB22
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:42 AM

I'm a student at filmschool, and am wondering what brightness range one can capture on most of today's negative stocks. I've heard 7, 8, even 11 or 14 stops. What is the reality? And if printing a positive for a theatrical exhibition, what is the brightness range that is actually discernable? The book "Practical Cinematography" by John Wheeler says 7 stops but I couldn't find why elsewhere in the book. I know that television (Standard Definition) has a brightness range of five stops. So why the 7 stops for the preceding?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 09 October 2005 - 06:12 AM

I'm a student at filmschool, and am wondering what brightness range one can capture on most of today's negative stocks. I've heard 7, 8, even 11 or 14 stops. What is the reality? And if printing a positive for a theatrical exhibition, what is the brightness range that is actually discernable? The book "Practical Cinematography" by John Wheeler says 7 stops but I couldn't find why elsewhere in the book. I know that television (Standard Definition) has a brightness range of five stops. So why the 7 stops for the preceding?

Hi,

Modern negatives have a contrast range of over 11 stops. As Paul Wheeler states the print stock range is nearer 7 stops. The reason for this is that a negative is very low in contrast. Print stocks too vary in contrast and have different looks. When you make a print you decide which 7 stops you want to print.

When using a telecine it is possible, especially when using power window's masks to get most of the negative range onto a television screen.

Stephen

#3 Andy Sparaco SOC

Andy Sparaco SOC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 203 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago and most airline lounges

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:18 AM

Go to the Kodak web site which focuses on Cinematography. There are sample scenes and well done sensitometry charts which tell you specifically what to expect from each emulsion.

#4 KKB22

KKB22
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:26 PM

THANKS!! :lol:

Edited by KKB22, 09 October 2005 - 05:27 PM.

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:56 PM

The AVERAGE scene brightness range is 160:1 (2.2 Log Exposure units), or a little over 7 stops. Modern color negative films have a "straight line" sensitometric curve well over this range, and are able to capture information over an even wider range.

Kodak published each film's characteristic curve in the technical data for each product.

Here's a link to a good tutorial:

http://www.kodak.com...structure.shtml

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider