#1 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1735 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:18 AM

I have a question, What kind of computer is it gonna take to edit 100MBPS 720 24p or even 1080 24p footage from the HVX200 without computer locks ups, slow downs, freez's and all the other problem when a computer becomes overloaded?

Basicly, what kind of computer are we looking at to be able to smoothly edit the camera footage without computer problems?

My current Internet Computer will play 720p footage in WMV HD, but it sticks somewhat, and at 1080p, it wont even hardly move... Im wondering how to avoid this in a editing computer?

Thanks,

#2 Rod Otaviano

Rod Otaviano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:49 AM

I have a question, What kind of computer is it gonna take to edit 100MBPS 720 24p or even 1080 24p footage from the HVX200 without computer locks ups, slow downs, freez's and all the other problem when a computer becomes overloaded?

Basicly, what kind of computer are we looking at to be able to smoothly edit the camera footage without computer problems?

My current Internet Computer will play 720p footage in WMV HD, but it sticks somewhat, and at 1080p, it wont even hardly move... Im wondering how to avoid this in a editing computer?

Thanks,

I think you'll find the answer to your question here:

http://www.dvxuser.c...rticles/hdedit/

Hope it helps.

#3 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1735 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:24 AM

Another question also... What programs will be able to edit the DVCPRO HD footage in native 24p mode? Can Vegas 6 handle it? I'm use to using Vegas, but a move to Avid Express is an option, maybe a mac running final cut pro hd...

And yet another one: Does the HVX200 offer Uncompressed output? Or is the 100mbps DVCPRO HD the max?

Edited by Landon D. Parks, 10 October 2005 - 01:27 AM.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:17 AM

I think you'll find the answer to your question here:

http://www.dvxuser.c...rticles/hdedit/

Hope it helps.

Hi.

Don't rely on that data. They think HDCAM is 4:2:2!

Stephen

#5 Dimitrios Koukas

Dimitrios Koukas
  • Sustaining Members
  • 569 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, Greece, London UK

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:44 AM

Thanks,

Final cut, mac G5 with RAID on.Some Tera bytes.
Dimitrios Koukas

#6 Jan Crittenden

Jan Crittenden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:22 AM

Landon D. Parks:
Another question also... What programs will be able to edit the DVCPRO HD footage in native 24p mode? Can Vegas 6 handle it? I'm use to using Vegas, but a move to Avid Express is an option, maybe a mac running final cut pro hd...

Avid Xpress Pro HD, Canopus Edius HD, and FCP 5.0. Also coming on line will be the Matrox Axio.

And yet another one: Does the HVX200 offer Uncompressed output? Or is the 100mbps DVCPRO HD the max?

The uncompressed is component analog, and one of those nifty Ato D converters will get you a very clean HDSDI, if you have the Terabytes and Raid to record it.

Best,

Jan

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:29 AM

L
The uncompressed is component analog

Best,

Jan

Hi,

That is a bit of pity? or am I missing something?

Stephen

#8 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:54 AM

You could use Vegas, but it would be a lot of work. Because Vegas is codec agnostic (more or less) you could download the DV100 codec from Avid and edit DVCProHD .avi's. This workflow was recently documented on another forum. But, as you're aware, the P2 card does store readily accessible "raw" .avi's (for very good reasons) so you would need to de-mux the files first before getting to the .avi's. Or, simply choose an editing program that supports P2, like all the one's Jan mentioned, for example. There is also a workflow involving the Cineform intermediate codec for about $600.

If I've mispoken, please forgive me! I'm on a Mac!

Hope this helps.
Brian

Edited by Brian Wells, 10 October 2005 - 07:26 AM.

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc