HD Camera rental. Real world prices if you know them.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 razerfish

razerfish
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:54 AM

I'm going to be producing a feature some time early next year, and we're planning on doing it in HD.

I checked out a website or two of rental houses (don't live in L.A. and am not too familiar with them), and called one to get pricing on a 16mm package awhile back, so I have an inkling about camera rental prices. But I'm wondering what I could get an HD camera package (F900 or whatever the DP wants, a few lenses, vital necessities) for in real world prices. I would want to have the DP work the deal since he/she probably already has a relationship ship with a rental house, and therefore, could get the best price. If I'm wrong is thinking that, let me know.

I'm talking about a 2 week rental. Basic HD package. Sony F900 or equivalent.

If this is a sensitive matter and not for public consumption, please send me the answer in a private message.

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:54 AM

I'm going to be producing a feature some time early next year, and we're planning on doing it in HD.

I checked out a website or two of rental houses (don't live in L.A. and am not too familiar with them), and called one to get pricing on a 16mm package awhile back, so I have an inkling about camera rental prices. But I'm wondering what I could get an HD camera package (F900 or whatever the DP wants, a few lenses, vital necessities) for in real world prices. I would want to have the DP work the deal since he/she probably already has a relationship ship with a rental house, and therefore, could get the best price. If I'm wrong is thinking that, let me know.

I'm talking about a 2 week rental. Basic HD package. Sony F900 or equivalent.

If this is a sensitive matter and not for public consumption, please send me the answer in a private message.

Here is a place that rents both:

http://chesapeakecamera.com/

Don't speculate, find out exactly what you're talking about. Don't forget to take film development and telecine into account,

#3 razerfish

razerfish
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:24 AM

Here is a place that rents both:

http://chesapeakecamera.com/

Don't speculate, find out exactly what you're talking about. Don't forget to take film development and telecine into account,

I'm going HD, no telecine or film development the route I'm going. Will check the link. Also may call, but I don't like haggling on price when I'm not ready to buy. That's why I was asking for a little real world experience from some experienced DP's.

#4 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:13 AM

I'm going HD, no telecine or film development the route I'm going. Will check the link. Also may call, but I don't like haggling on price when I'm not ready to buy. That's why I was asking for a little real world experience from some experienced DP's.

The place I deal with is a mom and pop operation and they do pretty big price cuts for extended rentals and will throw in extras like filters and matte box, upgrade tripod, etc. It is really dependent on the particular place you're dealing with and what your relationship is with them.

My telling you this has little bearing on what you are likely to be able to get other than knowing that deals can be had. But you knew that so I'm not sure what you are after? Talk to your prospective DP's, the ones in your area will have their own relationships that may have no relation to mine.

If it's you cold calling rental shops, you may get a deal, you may not. The only way to find out is to call. They are used to people price shopping them and will likely offer you the best deal they can.

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Technodolly

CineTape

Ritter Battery