#1 Steve Ford

Steve Ford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:59 PM

Hi Gang

I am going to be shooting some welding shots coming up and was wondering if there should be any concerns about damage to the camera other than staying away from flying sparks. Could the brightness of the welding do any harm to the chips?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Steve

#2 Simon Wyndham

Simon Wyndham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • UK

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

Hi Steve,

There was actually mention of somebody doing quite a lot of videoing of welding on another forum recently. I'll try and dig up the thread and post the link here. But what I do remember is that he said to be sure to put a good protective filter on the front of the lens. He said that he was amazed at how over time the sparks pock marked the filter quite dramatically. If that was the lens itself it could be expensive!

There shouldn't be any problem with the brightness of the welding. Just risks to the camera (and yourself) from flying sparks and other hazards.

#3 david west

david west
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:08 PM

welding is a very high source of UV light....

are you sure that perhaps an additional UV filter might not be a good idea??

#4 Alvin Pingol

Alvin Pingol
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Student
  • California

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:23 PM

Use the iris and ND filters over shutterspeed to dial down exposure. Because videocameras have no mechanical shutter, speeds like 1/10000 may record one ten-thousandths of a second's worth of exposure, but the light from the arc will still be hitting the CCD for the remaining 9999/10000th seconds [every second] and potentially cause damage.

#5 Dickson Sorensen

Dickson Sorensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:01 PM

Need I mention this? Be carefull not to look directly at the arc even for a short time. Damage to your eyes may not be immediately apparent. A friend watched a welder for a while and woke up in the middle of the night in pain and unable to see. He had burned his retna.

#6 Simon Wyndham

Simon Wyndham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • UK

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:49 PM

That's videoing welding struck off my list of subjects to make programmes about then...

#7 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3072 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:18 PM

A friend watched a welder for a while and woke up in the middle of the night in pain and unable to see. He had burned his retna.

It's called 'Arc-Eye' and it is quite extraordinarily painful. Your camera will be fine, as long as you follow the previous advice about using ND rather than shutter to knock down exposure. It's your eyes that are at risk. NEVER look at an arc with the naked eye, even for a few seconds. If you need to line up a shot, either get the welder to stop, or use a welders mask.

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Ritter Battery