Richard Vialet
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

Hey everyone!

I keep seeing posts where DP's mention rating their video camera at a certain ASA? Well what's the ASA rating on a DVX100 with a regular shutter at 48th-60th of a second, in 24p mode? And is there a way to change it?...(my guess is by changing the shutter speed?)

#2 Alvin Pingol

Alvin Pingol
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Student
  • California

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

At 24P and 1/48th shutter, the sensitivity should fall somewhere between 320 and 400ASA.

For every +6dB of gain you add, you will gain one additional stop of exposure, i.e. 320 becomes 640ASA, and so forth. Of course, you get to a point where video noise becomes so prevalent it's no longer worth it. I prefer -3dB, light permitting, which is a half stop loss but a cleaner overall image (not that 0dB is that noisy anyway).

#3 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:40 AM

I prefer -3dB,

... A nice feature not found on the DVX. Maybe Canon?

#4 Alvin Pingol

Alvin Pingol
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Student
  • California

Posted 15 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

My trusty GY-DV300 has it, I believe the XL2 does, as well... I was under the impression the DVX had -3dB gain as well, perhaps the 100B model does? :huh:

#5 Vinod Raja

Vinod Raja
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • BANGALORE

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:32 AM

Hey everyone!

I keep seeing posts where DP's mention rating their video camera at a certain ASA? Well what's the ASA rating on a DVX100 with a regular shutter at 48th-60th of a second, in 24p mode? And is there a way to change it?...(my guess is by changing the shutter speed?)

Hey everyone!

I have been filming all my documentary projects on 16mm and Beta/ Digibeta. Eight months back i acquired a DVX 100A , also known as DVX 102 A in India. I have caliberated the camera using my Pentax spot meter and a 18% grey card , I rate the camera at 500ASA without ND , using 1/8th ND i rate it at 64 ASA and using 1/64th ND at 10 ASA. I normally use the cine like Gamma from the menu list and tweak the black level a bit . I prefer to film outdoors using the 1/8 ND along with a .3 ND round filter (72mm) fixed to the lens. Thanks best

Opal

Tai Audio

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

CineTape