HD?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Carlos S. Carmona

Carlos S. Carmona
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:51 PM

What cameras are being used in the production of today's music videos? I am leaning towards using the Panasonic Varicam, or Sony's F/900 3, both of course HD. I have the editing system that can do the post so I am safe there. Also, is it safe to use the consumer level Sony HD cameras, or even the Panasonic DVX 100?
Just to note, the music videos are of the rap genre, and the artists are going to try to get the videos aired on one of the several video channels (i.e. BET).

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:21 AM

What cameras are being used in the production of today's music videos? I am leaning towards using the Panasonic Varicam, or Sony's F/900 3, both of course HD. I have the editing system that can do the post so I am safe there. Also, is it safe to use the consumer level Sony HD cameras, or even the Panasonic DVX 100?
Just to note, the music videos are of the rap genre, and the artists are going to try to get the videos aired on one of the several video channels (i.e. BET).

Hi,

Music videos are made using every sort of format. 35mm,16mm,8mm , Thompson Viper, Sony 900, Panasonic varicam, Digibeta, DV CAM, DVC PRO and mini DV.

The Budget and look will be the main factors.

Stephen

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:41 AM

Hi,

I've shot a couple on Varicam, which I found to be the obvious choice for the genre.

Whether it'll be better than a HVX-200, or rather whether it'll be better enough than the HVX-200, remains to be seen, but I'd hate to think of doing what I've done on Varicam on HVX.

Phil

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC